Going crazy for two!

• Hi everyone.

I'm a new, and first time mommy with 1 month old twins (boy and girl) and this has been an outstanding and overwhelming experience. Sometimes I kind of feel like going crazy. Sleep has officially left our house. My son cries more than his sister, and when I finally get him to sleep, Dina's awake..they don't sleep at the same time..How can I get that to start happening, and when does it usually begin? Is it normal for boys to eat more than girls? When it comes to feeding time, I give them both the same amount of oz. but he seems to still be hungry while his sister would rather sleep and not be interested in eatting at all? I'm afraid to call the Dr for everything for fear he might not pick up when he sees my number..(lol). Is there such thing as too much swaddling?

can someone please help me before I go crazy?

• Goodness you have a lot going on! Okay, first piece of advice is to take everything one issue at a time, which is also how I'll respond (with a disclaimer that I've never had twins).

1. Sleep: I can only imagine how tired you must be! The best advice I can give is to try and coax them into getting on the same schedule. Lots of moms have to do this to get their babies into a routine (which is the best way to get some control over a hectic household!). Little by little, 10-15 minutes at a time, try to push back one's sleep time to become closer to the other's. That may help.

2. Eating: Remember that though they're twins, they're still two different people. Whereas my girls (who are 8 years apart) had very different appetites their first year, so would your twins. The fact that they were born at the same time shouldn't matter. That said, you should be waking up your daughter to make sure she's eating every few hours. Try to remove clothing or change her diaper to try and keep her awake.

3. Calling the doctor: Never fear calling your pediatrician with questions and concerns. Most pediatric practices expect this and know that parents need guidance. It's part of their jobs. And, most have triage nurses on-call to handle these kinds of questions and issues.

4. Swaddling: Yes, there is such a thing as too much swaddling. This is a great thing that will help keep your baby feeling secure and comforted. But you need to be careful that you're not wrapping him too tight or with blankets that can interfere with his breathing (big, fluffy blankets). Thin receiving blankets work best. Also, make sure your baby's not overheating when swaddled.

Hope this helps!

• When it comes to eating, think of it like fingerprints. They were born together but they have different prints already and they also have different needs for food (and sleep for that matter). So feel free to refill the bottle and load him up some extra to eat. It may even help him sleep better.

Speaking of sleep, don't try to force it all at once. Like WriteMommy10 said, take it in small steps and move them towards a sychronized sleeping pattern. Not only will it help them sleep better, it'll let you get a break too.

Also don't be surprised if his sister starts getting just as hungry as him, or if they even switch places at some point. As growth in boys and girls is different she may be like my daughter who would sleep a lot at first and then one day woke up every several hours through the night unless we fed her extra before bed.

• I am SO glad there is someone out there like me.  I got a set of boy-girl twins who are a month old as well and this is my first time being a mother.  I am 21 and knew absolutely nothing about being a parent let alone how to change a diaper, haha.  My twins were 5 weeks early, leading to low birth weight and little and slow hunger.  They are both getting very big and doing great.  For the crying...what formula are you using?  We are using the earlyshield and wouldnt do it any different.  As for the sleeping, my boyfriend and I do what we call tummy-time, we both lean back (recliner or couch) and lay the kids flat on their tummy and keep them awake once or twice a day.  This allows for a longer sleep-time because you wear them out and it prevents that flat spot on their head.  My boy eats a lot more than my girl, I think it is a male thing, haha.  As long as she is eating more than an ounce or two each feeding for now she should be fine, but try to work in some feedings where she eats 3-5 oz.  My boy eats about 6 oz now and my girl eats 3-5 oz.  Maybe that will give you an area on how much they should be eating. 

• Yea....i have twins as well, both girls though. One girl eats like a pig while the other tries to sleep if she has air in her belly and quits. They both eat almost 7 oz per feeding and i'm using alimentum because they spent nearly a week in the hospital for formula intolerance after they were born. One is way more active than the other, and she talks much more than her sister...they have extremely polar opposite personalities. My main problem with them is change of environments. If we try to get them to sleep at my mom's or anywhere else for that matter, they don't sleep well at all. If i could drive around all day to get them to nap i would. I'm always busy with baby stuff with the girls but i wouldn't trade my life for anything.

*~*What are little girls made of? Sugar and Spice and everything nice!*~*

• hi, i just gave birth to two boys about 11 days ago...i strongly reccommend "healthy sleep habits, happy child" By Dr. Marc Weissbluth...

My sister used it on her son and had him sleeping though the night at 4 months, his is 2 years old now and goes to sleep by 7:30pm by himself in his crib with no problems...I had rec. the book to her and she swears by Dr. Weissbluth's methods of soothing a fussy baby, feeding, and getting the babies into a routine....good luck!!