Napping

• My son is 3 1/2 months old and he has been sleeping through the night for over a month now.  During the day he had been in a great sleep pattern with two naps per day, one in the AM and one in the PM ( about 2 hours each). He also took a catnap around noon.  A few weeks ago, this ideal came to a screetching halt!  He screams everytime I try to put him in his crib for naps, but he goes in fine at bedtime.  It has been taking close to an hour for me to get him down for a nap and once I do, he only sleeps for tiny bits.  I know he's tired because he's yawning and rubbing his eyes.  Why is he fighting it??

• There could be many reasons... it's not out of the question that he is teething early, although the fact he has no problems at night might contradict that. I have a 4 1/2 month old who slept beautifully until the past couple of weeks, and now she naps for very short periods.

I know you don't want to end the 2-nap era, but we had to. We skip her morning nap, try to give her a nap in the early afternoon, and put her down a little later at night so she sleeps later. That has worked better for us. Why? I have no idea, and it seems like even the "experts" fall back on the fact that every kid is different. We try to experiement until she falls asleep, and if it doesn't work, back to the drawing board.

• Yep...that sounds about right. Just when you think you have them figured out, they go and change it all on you!

Your son is probably just becoming more aware of his surroundings and more alert. He LIKES being awake and with you----- and let's face it, Naptime is just plain boring. Unfortunately, naptime struggles occur all throughout their childhood and even the best moms get tripped up by them.

He might just be going through a growth spurt and maybe he simply wants a bit more to eat just before napping. You could also try and adjust his nap schedule. Maybe he wants to go down a bit later now. Remember, the older he gets, the longer his awake periods will be.

Hopefully this is a temporary glitch and one that will quickly pass. Good Luck and let us know how he does!

• This happened to us too..... I tried and tried for a couple months and nothing. He JUST started napping in the crib about a month ago (he's 7 months now).... I got a book about sleeping/napping that said babies have sleep cycles. You should try to put them down an hour and a half to two hours after they wake up. So when he gets up in the morning, I put him down for a nap 2 hours later. It's worked but I think it's more of, he's busier (trying to crawl and play)..... and so more willing to sleep. You'll get those naps back soon :)