Waking up 30 minutes into nap???

• My daughter is 10 weeks and is doing great...except her naps!  We are on the "Baby Wise" schedule and she is sleeping through the night and takes 4 or 5 naps at an hour to two hour each, which is great (she goes about 10 hours at night). 

But, EVERY DAY without fail she wakes up 30 minutes into her naps...like clock-work!  She falls asleep fine and is transfered from the rocking chair to her crib fine.  I check her for gas and burps, nothing, I swaddle her, I have music playing softly, she has a clean diaper before the naps starts...I think I am doing everything right but she won't stay asleep longer than 30 min.  Sometimes if I rock her again she will go back and sometimes if I re-insert the pacifier she goes back to sleep.  It just doesn't seem good for her to be cat-napping at such a young age.  Any suggestions or advice???   

• I wish I had all the answers....unfortunately, babies have a mind of their own, and all of them at some point experience naptime struggles. My children were cat nappers for a few weeks. All you can do is remain consistant. Try to do all the things you are doing, reswadding her, giving her back her pacifier, rocking her etc..hopefully this is just a phase that will soon pass, IF you remain consistant.

One thing you can try is evaluating how much you are feeding her. Sometimes around 10 weeks, babies go through a growth spurt and actually need more food than they were taking. You could see if she would take another ounce with her feedings.

Another thing you can do is reevaluate her naptime schedule. She may not need quite so many naps each day and may be willing to get in 2-3 really good ones instead of several small naps. 4-5 naps a day seems like a lot, especially if she is already sleeping 10 hours at night. As your baby gets older, she will become more interested in the world around her and consequently, she may want to stay awake for longer periods of time.

Try setting up 3 solid naptimes during the day...and seeing if she would take a longer nap at those times. If she naps for 2 hours each time, she would be getting 6 hours of sleep during the day and 10 at night...for a total of 16 hours of sleep. Generally they recommend that a one to three month old baby gets at least 15 hours of sleep in 24 hours...so you would be well above that. Of course every baby is different and the amount of sleep that your baby needs might be different.

Hope this helps and Good Luck

• We are doing "baby wise" also and it works great.  I've found that my son sleeps longer and better if I put him in the crib when he's not all the way asleep and let him put himself to sleep.  He may cry for less than 5 minutes, but he sleeps much better than letting him fall asleep while rocking.  Just a suggestion...babies are so different!!  :) 

• I'm not familiar with Baby Wise. Could you tell us some more about it?

• "Baby Wise" is a book by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam.  As with every other baby book...I don't 100% agree with everything in it, but generally it works really well.  Many family members and friends also use it with a lot of success.  It's a very short, easy-to-read book.  The general idea is that the baby should EAT, then be AWAKE, then SLEEP.  My baby sort of started out that way anyway, so it seems very natural for him.  It also talks about putting them down BEFORE they are all the way asleep so they can learn to go to sleep alone.  For the first six weeks or so we were rocking, and walking, and carrying in the sling to go to sleep...now we just put him down and usually within 10 minutes, he's alseep on his own.  If not, then something is wrong...either he's not tired yet, or he has a burp or wet diaper.  I highly recommend reading it...I read it in one day!!  :)   (I got a copy from our library!)

• my cousin gave me that book and I read it all in 1 day.

my baby is 3 weeks old and this was working at first which is funny because they say you should not expect newborns to be able to follow it that young. But now her daytime cycle is more like, eat time, wake time, wake time, eat time, wake time, eat time, and then maybe sleep time. She will definitely not put herself to sleep (which she was doing before). She won't sleep unless she falls asleep being held and then when you put her down 75% of the time she wakes right back up and won't go back to sleep. We have left her in the bassinet after she wakes and she will look around for 20-40 minutes and then just start crying w/o interruption. Or she will just wake back up and cry right away. I have let her cry for up to 15-20 minutes, but she never tires. Picking her up and rocking her does not really help either. It might soothe her at time but it does not put her back to sleep.

I cannot figure out how to get her back on the Babywise routine. She sleeps great at night though. She gets up every 3 hours but goes right back to sleep after that.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate the help from another mom doing the Babywise routine

• I would say just stick with what the book says.  I think at 3 weeks you can't really expect your baby to stick to the routine.  Mine didn't start until at least 6 weeks or so.  I think the toughest time with a newborn is from about 6-12 weeks.  After 12 weeks my son started sleeping through the night and he's one year old now and a GREAT sleeper.  Goes to bed at 7:30pm....gets up at 7:30am.  I think it's all because of Babywise and putting him down when he was awake.  He has really learned how to put himself to sleep and it's fantastic.  We can leave him with anyone and they can easily put him to bed because there is no crazy routine or sleep props he needs.  Hang in there!!  You'll make it!!  Then before you know it you'll be reading Toddler Wise....once they start walking...wow...it's a whole new world! 

• I realize this post is very old, but I was wondering if in following Baby Wise you let your LO cry to sleep.  My little girl is 7 weeks and I've been rocking her to sleep.  She's been great as far as sticking to the routine except all of a sudden she is waking about 20 min after I put her down during her day naps and I can't simply soothe her back to sleep.  I tried letting her cry for fifteen minutes like the book suggests but after 10minutes I couldn't stand it anymore and then even when I picked her up it took a very long time to get her to relax again.  She was fed, burped, diaper changed, swaddled etc.  Did you find letting them cry worked for you? Did it take some getting used to?

• I did let him cry to sleep.  At first we walked him and rocked him, but once we decided to just put him down when he was tired...but not asleep, it worked great.  It only took him a few days to get used to it and stop crying.  He's now over 2 years old and still goes to sleep for nap and at bedtime with absolutely no issues ever.  We say he's a sleep machine!  Letting him fall asleep on his own really does keep him from waking up part-way into a nap.  I don't know why that works, but it does!  :)  Hang in there.  I think the first 12 weeks are the hardest.  Trust your instincts and do what you think is best. 

• There are a lot of opinions out there about crying it out but I think that a baby really ought to be older than 7 weeks before they cry it out. Most babies really don't have the coping skills to cry it out at that age - they need mom or dad to come and comfort them and hold them. The American Academy of Pediatrics states that babies do not usually have regular sleep routines until 6 months of age. This is more the age you can start to try "cry it out" with your baby. It worked well for mine at this age but usually before then, they are just too young. Hang in there! It gets better. :-)