8 month old with sleep problems

• Our 8 month old girl is a nightmare lately!!  We are both working parents and she goes to a small daycare next door to us. (I know, how lucky is that!?!)Once she is asleep she generally sleeps well.  We have tried crying in out and the NO-Cry Sleep Solution but still having problems getting her to sleep.  We have a nightly routine.  My husband ans I both work.  We pick up the baby at 5pm generally she'll take a nap between 5 and 6 and sleep for about 30 minutes.  Then while my husband plays with her I get her baby food ready.  Sometines she eats well sometimes she doesn't want as much food.  After supper we play with her until about 7 pm.  She gets a bath with Johnson& Johnson Bedtime bath.  About 7:30 (sometimes sooner) we give her a baby rub down with more bedtime lotion.  While one parent gets her dressed the other goes around the house and turns off lights and puts her music on.  We give her a bottle while rocking her to sleep.  Generally in her crib by 8 pm.  LAtely however she screams while we get her out theo the tub and the rub-down.  TAkes bottle well and even falls asleep but then when I get out the othe rocking chair boom eyes open and then are not going to close again.  We have tried picking her up again and rocking her then put in the crib again.  We try 3 times & then let her cry it out.  Sometimes she'll cry for 1-2 hours before falling asleep.  I've tried rubbing her back in the crib never works for me sometimes for my husband.  Once she sleeps she'll sleep until 1-2 am and then we have to start all over again.  AFter crying then she'll sleep until 6-7 am.  This has been going on for about 1 month now. I AM DESPERATE FOR ADVICE!!  I am tried of fighting my baby to get to sleep.  I have read the Ferber method watched suppernany and even ordered Elizabeth Pantley's No- Cry sllep solution and filled out the logs.  I am really starting to question myself here.  I love my baby but I am not sure what to do to help her and me.

• My first thought was not to let her take a nap between 5 and 6. At 8 months old, she doesn't need to sleep that late and this is probably making it difficult for her to really be tired at 8 pm. Have the daycare put her down for an afternoon nap around 1 or so and let her sleep for a few hours. By 3:30 or 4 she should be up and should not go down until bedtime. Your routine sounds good, so you should continue it. I would try cutting out the nap..see how that works. Let me know if it works! Good Luck.

• I agree that you should cut out her 5 pm nap. This is most likely the culprit to her sleeping trouble. In addition, try not to play with her before bed because giving her too much stimulation will increase her energy level, thus making it more difficult to settle her. Try reading to her or play soothing music to calm her after her bath and bottle. Hope this helps!
  • thequeennandi,

How are things going? Is your little girl still giving you trouble at night? What did you end up trying?

• Things have been going better now.  We are trying not to put her down for the 5pm nap.  This past Friday the daycare couldn't get her to take her usual afternoon nap so we had no choice by the time my husband picked her up but to give her the nap.  She slept until about 6:30pm and was so sleepy during her supper.  We followed our routine but instead of rocking her after we had given her the bottle I rocked her until the bottle was done got a burp out of her and went straight off to the crib.  I put her down helped her to get comfy (we gave her a very small blanket as a lovey) and rubbed her back until she fell asleep and then left the room.  It worked well and she slept through the the night from 8 pm until 6 am with only a few cries but when we checked on her, she was out like a light.  Saturday she got a nice nap (1:30-2:45pm) and no nap at 5 We again rocked her until the bottle was done got a burp and straight to bed.  She fussed a bit until I stoppedrubbing her back and then left the room.  We could hear her on the baby monitor trying to get comfortable then within 10-15 minutes she was out.  The only noise we heard was her talking to herself.  Tonight I tried the same routine as Saturday and she was in bed by 8pm and asleep within 10 minutes.  I never would have tought that the 5om nap was hurting us so much.  We had tried to keep her awake longer than 8 pm when she did get a nap but then we were up every 2 hours all night long.  Thanks for advice. 

• So glad to hear that things are going better for you. It is amazing how difficult it is to figure out these guys! That is what I love about these types of communities...this way we don't all have to figure things out alone. We can help each other through it! Good job and I hope she continues to do well for you!

• There's no question that the sleeping routine is tough. Every time I think I have it figured out, my daughters force me to come up with a new plan! It's always a dilemma when your child needs that nap too close to bedtime. Definitely a challenging part of parenthood!