feeding a one month old

• How much should my one month old be eating?  and how often should he be eating?  I know every baby is different I amjust wondering what the normal is.

• I think this depends on whether you're breastfeeding or bottlefeeding. Obviously if you're breastfeeding, it's hard to tell how much your baby is actually eating, whereas with the bottle, at least you know how much you started with at feeding time. I'd check with your pediatrician to find out what she recommends for either.

• I am bottle feeding.

• Most babies are at 2-3oz every 2-3 hours at this age. Some eat more, some eat a little less. Your baby should let you know when he/she is full. You can also multiply your babies weight (in lbs) by 2 and that is the average number of ounces a day that your baby should be eating. You can easily come up with how much per feeding by dividing that number by the number of feedings. This formula only works for younger babies less than 16lbs because 32 ounces is the maximum recommended amount of formula per day. Again, this is just an average and a good place to start at.

• My daughter is almost 4 weeks old and she eats anywhere from 3 to 4 oz. at a time, 4 or 5 times a day.  I'd say her average is 16 to 20 oz.  And sometimes it's more.  Last night she ate her 4 oz. bottle and was still crying.  I gave her another 2 and she was fine.  Next feeding, she only had 2 oz.  I think a lot depends on the baby.

• The main site has a great chart that offers information on amounts infants should be eating. You can find it here: http://similac.com/baby-formula/similac-advance-feeding-tips

I received a hard copy of this chart when I had my second baby and it was a huge help. I think it's actually still on my frigdge!

• My son was born 10 pounds, 10 ounces and I had to supliment with formula right away. With the formula he was eating 2 ounces at a time. By his two week check up he was 11 pounds, 7 ounces and eating 4 ounces at a time. Now my son is 6 weeks old and he eats 6 to 7 ounces at a time 4 to five times a day. my milk was never able to come in so I had to switch to formula all the time because my little guy was hungrey.  It depends on how much your baby weighs also just like the other ladies were saying.

• My wife breastfed early on so it was hard to tell exactly how much she was getting. But babies are great at telling us when they are still hungry - usually very noisily Wink. While a baby should be eating regularly, as others have pointed out some will eat less and others more. I can still remember my daughter, during growth spurts would eat like it was her last meal everytime, and in-between she never seemed to want as much as the numbers say she should. If yours is eating and growing/gaining weight without any problems then you should be doing just fine.