weight gaining

• my baby is 2 1/2 months old and he is 13lbs and 23 1/2 in

is this normal?

• My baby is also 2 1/2 months old and at her 2 month check-up on Jan. 6th she weighed 11 lbs 14 oz and was 23 1/4 in long so I assume that 13 lbs is in the normal range.
  • What were his birth measurements? Every baby is different. I would suggest asking your pediatrician his or her opinion on your baby's growth. Usually at well-baby visits, the pedi will go over with you where your child is on the height and weight charts (10th percentile, 50th percentile, etc.), and what they think of the baby's progress so far. Has your doctor said anything to you about his weight?

• WriteMommy10 is correct, every child is different. If you speak with your pediatrician, (s)he should be charting his growth based on his birth weight/height as well as his progress at each check up. Even if your pediatrician hasn't from what I've seen of the chart at our own check ups (s)he should be able to calculate where your son is on it right now and tell you if that differs significantly from where he was on it at birth.

• MY BABY IS 3 MONTHS AND 16 LBS,AND I ASKED MY SON'S PED WAS HE OVER WEIGHT AND HE SAID NO. HE SAID WE CALL BABIES LIKE THAT FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

• Your pediatrician should be able to put your baby's height and weight in a growth chart and tell you what "percentile" your baby is in. The boy and girl chart is different. Also, your baby may be bigger than average (above 50%) or below average (below 50%) and still be very healthy.

• Nikki, that's funny! I haven't heard of that before.

My niece was born about six weeks before my youngest daughter and she is a big kid in both height and weight, but stull very much on the charts. In comparison, my daughter is tiny -- only in the 10th percentile for both. I think it's all genetics and unless your doctors has concerns, simply enjoy this time with your huggable baby.

• That is hilarious! Yeah my son is 4 months old and he weighs 16 lbs. He will definetely be a football player!