Sleeping through the night

• Hello,

I am sure this has come up MANY times before, but my daughter is almost 6 months and she is not sleeping through the night yet...she gets up at least once a night...if not more. She does not really nap during the day either. I am DESPERATE to get at least 5 hours straight.....any advice would be REALLY appreciated.

• I think my daughter was about a year before she slept through the night, if you can believe it. What could be going on is that she's actually overtired, since she doesn't nap much during the day. Believe it or not, the more tired a baby gets, the less he sleeps. Try to encourage her to sleep more during the day as a first step and see if that makes a difference.

• This works great for me.

My routine is as follows:

1. no bottle feedings for 2 1/2 hours prior to bedtime.

2. bath baby before going to sleep.

3. have warm bottle ready after bathing her.

You should see her sleep so comfortably until 5:00am.  mine does!!Big Smile 

• I'm with writemommy. You should work on getting some naps in during the day. Ideally, one at 9am or so and one at 1pm. Both should be at least an hour. A 6 month old needs a ton of sleep. Make sure you aren't putting your baby down too late. 730 is a good bedtime. I really wish a warm bath and a bottle would guarantee you a good night's sleep, but in my experience scheduling and breaking bad habits like eating all night are key. Best wishes.

• I agree with most of the suggestions so far - naps during the day really did help with our daughter, and a solid bedtime routine was great for getting her into the rhythm of sleeping through the night. Is she crib sleeping? If so and you dont already have one you might look into a noise/light machine. They produce soothing sounds (usually white noise but some play lullabies or other tunes as well), and provide a dim light both of which can be very comforting in the crib.

• I have a 2 month old who is has been sleeping thru the night for some time now.  He used to get up twice a night then it went to once a night now he goes to sleep around 9:30 ish and sleeps until sometime around 6 to 7 AM.  I noticed he started eating a whole lot more before bed time which I think helps get him thru the night.  He also loves his bath which I think helps relax him even though he doesn't get them every night.  I also believe the better he sleeps during the day the better he sleeps at night.  I believe it is important to have a bed time routine also.  He was moved to his crib when he was 6 weeks old.  I think it helps him sleep better when he is in his own room.  We don't swaddle him anymore but when he is full, burped and sleepy we put him in his crib and lay his arms by his side and tuck a blanket all around him so he is snug as a bug.  If he can move his arms and legs a lot he will keep himself up.  He doesn't really care for a passy but if he isn't going to sleep real well we hold it in his mouth and it helps him go to sleep.  Or if I have formula left I let him drink a little while he is laying in his crib.  All babies are different but I think having a routine, getting them full and making sure they have a clean diaper when they go to sleep are probably the best things you can do to get them to sleep longer.  We use the Johnson's calming bath wash and lotion too.  (purple top) We also have a little FP Seahorse that glows a little and plays music for about 5 minutes.  I think that helps him relax and go to sleep.  Good Luck!

• How old is your daughter?

• My Son is 3months 3 days.

• I agree with romuro. My DS gives me about 6 to 7hrs when I follow those exact steps. It should do the trickBig Smile

• How do you get your baby to nap? My son is 4 months old and he's always had a hard time napping. He gets maybe 4 naps during the day and sometimes the lonhgest one is 45 mins. I've tried to let him cry it out but he doesn't fall asleep that way either. Any suggestions?

• mishaboots,

Usually I walk my daughter until she nods off and then can lie her down or often I will lie on the couch with her on top of me. She will also crawl up beside my wife on the couch when she's tired and lie there until she falls asleep. If you can establish a routine for napping that works for you, it should become a habit for him soon enough and you ought to find him falling asleep at the time(s) you've set for your routine on his own.