Tummy time

• Being a new mom I have plenty of questions and hoping that I am doing things right  aiding in my babies development.  Question about tummy time...is it normal for babies to cry most of the time when they are on their stomachs?  Mine don't particularly enjoy being on their tummies anymore.  I know it is important for developing muscles and all.  They can hold their heads up fine.  Also if they are laying on my stomach is this consider tummy time as well?  They don't cry when they are like that, only when they are on the floor.  Is there anything I can do to help them enjoy this time more?  I interact and act crazy with them while they are on their tummies, but that doesn't usually work.  Occasionaly, when they don't cry while on their tummies, they fall asleep.  One more question...how often and how long should they be on their tummies during the day?  They are 11 weeks and just in the last couple of weeks whey have started crying more while in this position; prior to that they were okay with it.  I didn't know if they wanted to be up where they can see more of what is going on.  Thanks.

• I have an almost 4 mo old that hates tummy time also. She liked it when she was about 2 mos but has not liked it for a while now. She cries the entire time. So we don't do it a lot. I haven't tried her on my stomach yet but I'll try that. I'm also concerned she's not getting the muscle excersises she needs.  I have read they need to have a total of 20-30 minutes a day on their tummies.  I'll be anxious to hear any suggestions.

• You might try tummy time on mommy's chest. Some members here have said that works well for them. I agree that about 30 minutes a day is good. You are not alone. Some babies just loathe being on their tummies. It makes them work harder to see things.

• There's a thread on the boards that may have some good advice for you about tummy time: http://similac.com/community/boards/forums/t/70.aspx

My kids never liked it, so I didn't push it too much. I found using a Boppy or one of those playmats with a pillow that goes under the arms work for a short time. Overall, though, I found other ways to let them play, whether on their backs or in my lap.

• All of my kids hated tummy time. They would scream and cry until I would either pick them up or place them in a different position. Eventually though as they started to move around more they would roll themselves on their tummies and be happy as clams. I wouldn't sweat it to much. Good luck

• Ditto birdie4. My boys hated it, it was like that rug commercial, as soon as the dad put the baby down he screamed.  He bends over and gets his feet close he screams.  anyway, I got tired of listening to them cry so I stopped.  They both developed fine and are happy healthy kids.  I put them in the playpen and the swing and the highchair so there was always something to engage them, but if you think about it, all the interaction you do with them builds their muscles up just as much.  P.S. I didn't have crawlers eaither, they both went straight to walking without all the "tummy-time"

• My little girl who is now 10 weeks doesn't like tummy-time too much either. She will usually do okay for about 5 minutes(sometimes less) and then she starts getting cranky! She'll fuss more and more until I either pick her up or turn her over onto her back. The way I see it is if she'll do even 3 minutes I let her even though it doesn't last long-it's better than none (IMO). I try to do it several times a day because five minutes each time would add up at the end of the day. I am also very interactive with her. I put a rattle in her hand and tug on it a little. I heard that helps build strength also. I wouldn't WORRY about it, but if I were you I would atleast try it every so often....they may develop a liking for it one day.

• I know that my son should not sleep on his tummy, but occasionally during his tummy time (usually when he's on my chest) he will fall asleep.  I usually don't leave him there long and will roll him onto his back and let him sleep on my chest that way, but I wonder what harm can it do if I'm right there with him?  In the hospital they would lie him on his tummy because it helps with digestion, but he was hooked up to the breathing and heart monitors so it was safer. 

• -MOTHEROFTWINS-

AS YOU CAN SEE, A LOT OF MOTHERS CAN RELATE  TO YOU. MY SON IS TURNING 3 MONTHS AND "HATES" TUMMY-TIME EVEN THOUGH SOMETIMES HIS THE ONE WHO INNICIATES IT. I LAY HIM ON HIS BACK AND THEN HE TURNS HIMSELF OVER AND IT'S THEN WHEN HE STARTS CRYING. I TRY TO KEEP HIM CALM BY SINGING & TALKING TO HIM, BUT IT HASN'T WORKED YET. DOES BEING ON THEIR TUMMY HURT? I HOPE AS HE GETS OLDER, HE WILL ENJOY TUMMY-TIME...SINCE THE JUNGLE GYM HE HAS IS AN AWSOME ONE...