When can baby sleep on her tummy?

• My 2 month old daughter seems to fall asleep easier on her tummy but I don't know when it's okay to do this for the night time. I try to lay her on her sides to change positions but she ends up on her back by the morning. I just want to make sure she doesn't spend too much time on her back (flat head). She does well on tummy time, lifts head,  pushes up and looks side to side. She's already rolled over (only twice).

• It is recommended to put infants "back" to sleep for the first year. When she is rolling well she may begin sleeping on her tummy even if you don't put her down that way. At that point, she will be at a decreased risk for SIDS due to having better head and neck control. You might try swaddling her well to give her the cozy affect that she is seeking when lying on her tummy.

• My girls would only tolerate sleeping on their back or sides for a few weeks after they were born, so I let them sleep on their tummies when they made it clear they would not tolerate it any other way. The decision was supported by some and not by others. I agree with BabyNurse that it becomes less of an issue once they can roll over on their own (there's not much you can do at that point).

• I completely agree - check out information on "cot wrapping" in New Zealand. Doctors down there have discovered that SIDS is caused by antimony and arsenic gases being released from our fireproof crib mattresses. My son prefers his tummy - will only sleep 10-15 minutes any other way. His mattress is wrapped and I know he is not exposed to toxic fumes. When he was in the hospital, they always rotated him with positioners on his sides and his tummy - NEVER was he put on his back for the 8 weeks he was there....

• Luckily for us our daughter didn't mind sleeping on her back when we laid her down. But as she grew older she would "flip" herself onto her stomach. We worried about it, but their were no bumpers in the crib (when she was in one) and in the bed we could easily keep an eye on her. Soon she could roll herself back over (and then began a fun new game of tossing in her sleep beside us Wink) and we began to worry less. If you're very worried, set up a monitor near her and crank it up until you can hear her breathing - that always made us more comfortable early on.

• Luckily for us our daughter didn't mind sleeping on her back when we laid her down. But as she grew older she would "flip" herself onto her stomach. We worried about it, but their were no bumpers in the crib (when she was in one) and in the bed we could easily keep an eye on her. Soon she could roll herself back over (and then began a fun new game of tossing in her sleep beside us Wink) and we began to worry less. If you're very worried, set up a monitor near her and crank it up until you can hear her breathing - that always made us more comfortable early on.