Is this a Phase?

• My daughter is 4 mos. She has been sleeping thru the night for about a month now! She was taking her bottle around 8-8:30 while being rocked. I would sing to her and she would fall right to sleep. This was our nightly routine. Very simple. It worked every night. All of a sudden this is not working anymore. Now she starts crying around 7-7:30. I rock her and give her a bottle but she continues to cry, then screams! Sometimes she'll drink most of her bottle and then starts screaming and other times she won't even try to drink it. Now I'm up walking with her, rocking her, singing to her, white noise, fans, etc. She's crying so hard she can't drink her bottle. She chokes if she tries. This goes on anywhere from 45 min to 2 hrs!! Then she finally falls asleep. Last night she woke up at 3:30 and would not go back to sleep until I gave her a bottle. She fell back to sleep at 5:00. She has not wanted a bottle in the middle of the night in two mos.  It started about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it's every night, exactly the same thing. Very frustrating and puzzling. Is this a phase? I've heard babies go thru changes and phases. First time mom, I don't know what's going on.

• I'm a first time mom myself with a 3 and a half month old son and sometimes we go through this too. I found that several things have helped: blowing gently in his face, a massage with Baby Vicks on his chest and neck, gently rubbing his hair and ears, and carrying him around in different positions until he's happy. Sometimes I'll dance around with him, swing him gently back and forth in my arms, or just let him sit up in my arms and walk around the house with him. If he can't calm down, the blowing in his face works, undressing him if its warm, wrapping him in a light blanket and laying him down on a pillow and rock him to sleep on my lap will work. If not, sometimes a sponge bath works too. Because February is still a cold month, he has gotten sick a couple of times too. I give him infant drops containing acetamenophen and if he looks like he's having stomach problems, I'll give him Mylicon. We noticed that my baby was grabbing his hair and ears and immediately we knew he probably had an ear infection. Sure enough, the next morning the doctor confirmed it and gave us antibiotics to treat it. I'll always check on his diaper too. My little one isn't that fussy though, he's easy to calm down.... so I don't know if what you're going through is a phase. I just thought I'd give you some of my tips on what could calm down your baby. Oh, and it could possibly due to changes in your diet if you're breastfeeding your baby too. You have to watch what you eat and drink to know what your baby can tolerate and that there are certain things that will upset him later on. If you started feeding formula all of a sudden, that could also be the problem too because his stomach is not used to it. I made this mistake once and it was hard to pinpoint it because I fed that to him in the morning but he was experiencing constipation and bad gas in the evening. Once we figured it out, all we could do was massage his tummy, give him Mylicon, keep holding him for comfort, and let him drink water until all that passed. It was hard to see him suffer like that but just holding him calmed him down a lot. I hope this helps and hope to hear that your little one will get better!

• I'm no doctor, but it sounds like the exact symptoms our baby had at about 2 months.  It turned out to be bad reflux that he needed medication for.

• Your baby is getting bigger and the bottle isn't enough anymore! The baby is hungry! You may want to consider shortening and then eliminating that routine every night! She needs to learn to fall asleep in her bed so when she wakes up at 5 she isn't like oh I'm awake! I need mom to come in here with a bottle and rock me in that chair so I can go back to sleep!

• This very well could be a phase. If it is, it may go on for several weeks and then suddenly change again. If it's something more physical, like gas or acid reflux, it won't go away on its own. Best to talk to your pedi first.

• I am a mom of a 2 year old and a four month old. My baby is also going through something kind of similar. I'm trying to figure her out as well, but do have a few theories based on what I've learned from my first daughter. Some of the ideas that I have with my own are: teething or hungry. My doctor starts them on cereal between 4 & 6 months, and they sign she looks for when they are ready is if they stop sleeping through the night. Good luck, and I hope this may help you out. Babies will always keep you guessing!

• I would talk to the pediatrician to make sure there isn't something physical going on.  It is not likely that she is giving you fits because she is hungry or she would take the bottle better when you offer it. Perhaps she is going through a growth spurt and needs to go to bed earlier. It could be that she is overtired when you are trying to put her down, but would go easier if you started earlier.

I think your routine is a good one. Rocking, singing, and loving your baby each night is a special time that will not last long. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in needing to sleep that we forget that it won't be long before our babies don't want us to rock and cuddle them. You are doing a great job.