Looking for support

• My beautiful 3 1/2 month old (Bless her heart) fights sleeping.  It doesn't matter if it's naps or bed time.  She just fights it.   I watch for her signals and now even anticipate her typical fussy times and try to get her down before.  But it seems her favorite method to be put to sleep is to scream herself out (which is not at all what my husband and I want to do!)  we really have tried it all, and I've read all over the internet and tons of books.  I spend HOURS every day trying to get her to take a nap.  She is up every 2 hours at night (occasionally we get a 3 hour stretch which is AWESOME!)  She always wakes up hungry and eats like 2 - 3 ozs.  once we get her down at night she'll usually do the 2 hours sleep up to eat thing till about 7 am.  but the naps!  Seriously!  any other moms/dads out there who have words of encouragement or support?  I am fighting feeling discouraged.  I just hate the emotional melt downs we have each day.  I do work, but she comes with me to the office two days a week (and has a very nice church member who sits with her in the nursery) and we work from home the other days.  Even so, we really try to put her on a schedule...but it doesn't seem to work.  Although, I must say a month ago My husband and I took sleep shifts with her because we couldn't get her to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night (and not in one stretch)...so this is an improvement.  I think if I read one more article about sleeping tips/patterns/what I'm apparently doing wrong I might have an emotional melt down myself!  I think there is no normal!

Encouragement anyone?!?

• It is funny that you would post this because I just got off the phone with my very best friend who lives in Italy who is having the same problem. Her husband is gone for three weeks right now and her three month old will not sleep for her. I think she is at the end of her rope. I feel so bad for her.

I wish I could tell you how to fix it. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Congrats on having a husband who will take shifts with you! That is really great of him. Even so, I am sure you are both worn out. When she wakes up does she go right back to sleep when you take care of her needs? Is she generally happy or fussy?

• My son is 4 months now and has only slept through the night once so I totally understand your pain! However, prior to his 4 month appointment we decided to start giving him more breastmilk at once (5 ounces) and a little cereal. This has helped a great deal. He started only getting up once at night and seems very content in the morning even if he hasn't slept. When we went to his 4 month appointment though, our pediatrician suggested giving him a bottle of formula right before bed and that was the night he slept all night. He has a little cold so we're attributing that to the not sleeping well right now. We prefer the ready to feed kind because it seems more concentrated and thicker. So, about an hour before his bedtime when he starts getting fussy, I get a bowl of cereal with fruit ready, feed that to him and then give him a 5-6 ounce bottle of formula. I don't know if this will work for you but you might give it a try.

I hope this helps!

Michelle

• Hi.  I know what you mean!  My little girl is 2 1/2 months old and had NO schedule.  I tried to let her cry a little and not jump to her rescue so she could learn to "self-soothe" like the experts say, but it wasn't working and my husband and I could only take the torture for a few minutes.  Well we were at the doctor's the other day for a completely unrelated issue and when implimenting the new directives from her doc, fould that it works great to get her to sleep longer periods too!  Here goes.

One rule of thumb regarding feeding is that you feed an ounce for every hour for OUR daughter's age group.   i.e.  Feed her 3oz ever 3 hrs or 4oz every 4 hrs and so forth.  I had been getting up and feeding her when she wanted following a daytime of the same.  Basically she was not on a FEEDING schedule.  We now have a log and don't feed her large or small amounts.  She ALWAYS get's either 3 or 4 oz which translates into 3-4 hours of sleep at NIGHT too!  I hope this helps!  But chin up!  You're doing a great job and it sounds like you and your husband love your baby a lot.  God will get you through this.

• Michelle I am so glad to hear someone else say to feed the baby!!! It is true feed them and they will sleep! You will enjoy your baby more and he will enjoy his bed!