WHEN SHOULD I STOP SWADDLING

• HI EVERYONE, I HAVE A 4 MONTH OLD SON SOON TO BE 5 MY QUESTION IS WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO STOP SWADDLING HIM. WHEN WE SWADDLE HIM FOR THE NIGHT HE SEEMS TO BE FINE WITH IT. WHEN HE WAKES UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND WE PUT HIM BACK TO SLEEP HE FIGHTS . IS THAT A SIGN  TO STOP SWADDLING.

• We never started with our daughter because she fought it from the start. If he is fighting it when he wakes up then it is probably ok to leave him unswaddled. Aside from the comfort it can create for some baby's, swaddling is good for them if they havent learned to turn themselves over - if he can sit/roll over on his own it may be ok to try not swaddling entirely.

• I swaddled my daughter for 4 months, but after that she was too big for the swaddle blankets.  I also read in Dr. Harvey Karp's book "Happiest Baby..." that weaning off swaddling is good to do by 4 months.  To help transition, you can use "older" methods of swaddling such as a light sleeveless sleep sack over jammies.  Sleep sacks can usually be used through 9 months.  After my daughter outgrew the swaddle blankets, the sleep sack worked really well.  Swaddling signified it was bedtime...now zipping up the sleep sack has the same effect. 

• my little girl who is now 2 months didn't get swaddled when she came home from the hospital because she faught against it. now she sleeps much better with being swaddled. she started not sleeping well at night because she was not being held. since i needed sleep i thought it would be harmless to 'trick' her by swaddling her to make her think she was being held and it worked! now she sleeps 3-6 hours at a time!:-)

• Both my girls let me know when they didn't want to be swaddled anymore. They would fight their way out of the blankets!

I also felt like they needed swaddling while they were so very little and fragile. But when they gained some weight and some control over their motor functions, I felt more comfortable letting them sleep without swaddling.

• Around 4 months of age is a good time if you have a pretty active baby. I have a friend who had mastered the swaddle so well that she found her six month old rolled over on his belly and STILL swaddled. She gave it up that day. LOL. Big Smile

• My LO is 8 weeks old. She does not like swaddling. She wants her hands free. So I let her hands free and swaddle her lower body. If I swaddle her hands she becomes uneasy.

• At 8 weeks old they are starting to learn their likes and dislikes. I have five children and all were different. My one daughter was like yours. So what I did was I would swaddle her and I never left her arms out because they still need to feel secure. I would swaddle her and giveher the breast or pacifier. After a couple times of this she learned that this is what was going to happen. She is probably becoming uneasy because she knows she'll go to sleep! 

• My son is almost 5 months old and we still swaddle him.  His doc said as soon as he is showing signs of rolling over to stop because of the increased risk of SIDs from rolling over on his belly and not being able to pick himself up.  My question is How do you smoothly transition from being swaddled to not.  My son sleeps very well at night getting up once or not at all...when not swaddled he is up every 3 hours....which makes for a very long night!  Any suggestions????

• You could switch to a sleep sack that will help keep him cozy, while allowing him freedom of movement. There isn't anything else that would be safe to add to his crib to help the transition. You could also try to swaddle just his lower half before completely removing the swaddle blanket. That would allow him to ease into the sleep sack.

• Most babies are ready by 3-4 months of age to be weaned of the swaddle.  There is always the exception to this, which your son may be.  Most of the time you can slowly wean form the swaddle by just swaddling with one arm out.  Since your baby is an older baby and probably more active there is an inceased risk to have loose blankets.  Try the sleep sack as others have suggested.  Or you can try swaddling him with one arm out.  Continue with the white noise to help him sleep longer. 

• Thomas is almost 3 weeks old and was 8 weeks premie and he doesn't exactly fight swaddling, but I'll wake up with him at night to find he's completely kicked his blankets off.  I worry because his skin is usually chilly to the touch after he's done this.  Is that a sign that I shouldn't swaddle him up?  If I shouldn't swaddle, what can I do to make sure that he's warm enough?

• LeslieAnn- You can definitely keep swaddling him. You can try either a velcro swaddler that keeps him from being able to kick out so easily or switch to a sleep sack. A sleep sack is what you go to when they no longer are swaddled. It keeps them warm, while not increasing their risk for SIDS.