using wipes for peepee

• My grandmother says I don't need to use a wipe with every wet diaper and that they are mainly for poo's. Regardless of her saying that I still use them every diaper change, but I was wondering...is she right? I'm a 1st time mom.

• I catch myself not using them every time, but I think I should.  How would you feel if you peed into a pad or something and only changed the pad without wiping clean?  That's kind of how I equate it in my head.  I will say that the half-asleep diaper changes don't always get wiped though... unless poopy!

• I think they should be used everytime. Urine is very irritating to the skin, smells bad, and I think it is just kinda gross to leave it on their skin.

• I use wipes everytime i change my daughter's diaper whether she's peed or pooped or did nothing at all just to be on the safe side. I've also noticed that the most gentlest wipe on the market in my opinion is the pampers sensitive wipes because they're not scented and they are THE softest for babies skin especially the younger babies.

• We also use Pampers Sensitive. I wish I could use something that smelled great, but her bottom gets red after the first use with something else. I've also been known to use fleece or flannel cut into strips. I soak them in water with a little baby oil and wipe her down that way. The fleece is so very soft. If it is a poopy diaper then I chunk the fleece wipe. If it is pee pee then I throw it in a plastic bag to be washed at the end of the day.

• Your grandmother may be right but like you I use them every time. I figure that even if it isn't absolutely necessary it is more sanitary (I wouldn't want urine drying on my skin!) and it also gets her in the habit of cleaning up right from the very beginning so that when it comes time to potty train her that's something she's already used to and will (hopefully) come naturally.

• I actually don't use wipes for pee pee diapers. I actually found it to be more irritating to the skin for my girls.

• I always used wipes when my daughter had wet diapers.  The way I look at it is that I wipe myself, so why wouldn't I wipe her?  I should imagine that it wouldn't feel very nice to have that wetness there and by the end of the day there's probably a bit of odor too.

• I don't use them for wet diaper changes.  I found with my first that all the wiping was more irritating than not ...especially when we had diaper rash.  My pediatrician agreed and suggested just water on a washcloth if I could not do without wiping.

• Big SmileThanks everyone! With me being a first time mom and not being around babies prior to me having mine I doubt myself sometimes especially when my grandmother says she did things differently. I also try to remember that when she was raising kids they said to always lay them on their tummy too---lol---times have changed

• I use wipes with every diaper change. But my sister did not with her little girl and now they are having to use a special estrogen cream on her because she developed labia adhension and it has to be seperated. Left untreated, the adhension would have continued until there was no way for the pee to leave her little body. Its very important that ALL the folds and creases in the diaper area get seperated and cleaned thoroughly to prevent this from happening.

• how funny..my grandmother told me the same thing..their from a different era..=0) i use wipes all the time..but, 2 weeks ago..my son had a diaper rash and when i would wipe his little behind..he would cryyyyyyyyy. i asked around, and they told me to use a terry washcloth and soak it in warm water, which i did and that way he wouldn't cry..now, the rash is gone, so im back to using baby wipes..i use pampers unscented. i don't think your grandma is right nor wrong, because i know that my grandma gave birth to 12 kids..8 still alive..and 10 of them were with the help of a midwife. my grandma lives in mexico and back in the day..their wasn't hospitals nearby..no medicine..everything was herbal remedies..but, then again my grandma lived in a ranch..she was poor..so, just respect your grandma's opinion..and, it's up to you to make the final decision..