HELP! 4 month old won't sleep!!

• My son will be 4 months old next week and has been a pretty good sleeper all in all since he was born. He would go through a few days where he would sleep from 11pm-7am.. then he would wake once during the night... but was never really a problem. For the past week, he has been waking up just about every 90 minutes during the night. I can't figure out why and I'm exhausted. How can i get him to sleep (mostly) through the night??

Thanks,

• I'm sorry he isn't letting you sleep very much. Every 90 minutes is a lot. Generally, when there is a change in sleep pattern that drastic, there is something causing it. Is he teething (I know it is just a little early) or pulling his ears?

• Try taking him to the doctor. When this type of behavior happened with my kids, I found that there was usually an underlying issue, like gas pain or ear pain. They're too little to really tell you where it hurts so at this point, it's really a guessing game.

It could also be that he's hungry. My little one woke up for a bottle in the middle of the night until well after her first birthday. She's a tiny thing and really needed the extra nutrition. Does he seem open to taking a bottle or the breast?

Is he congested? Maybe he's having trouble breathing. Either way, with something like this it's best to talk with your doctor. At the very least, this could assuage any concerns you might have.

• I would try to make sure he hasn't started teething.  There were nights I had to give my son tylenol for him to sleep.  I'd also recommend watching to see if he is pulling at his ears or just has a stopped up nose.  Make sure he doesn't sound congested when he breathes.  This is a great time of year for little colds, earaches and sinus problems.  And lastly, if you don't have any kind of gas drops, I suggest you get them.  They work miracles for babies that have maybe swallowed too much air during their feedings and have gas pains.

• I have a four month old daughter who does not sleep as well. But I read that when they start teething that their sleep pattern changes. It seems a little early to start teething, but the pediatrician assures me that this is normal.

• My son is 5 1/2 months.. He has been a pretty decent sleeper for a few months now.. Over the past few weeks his sleeping pattern has become extremely eratic. Some nights may sleep from 10 - 630 or 7am.. But then there are nights where he is constantly waking up through the night. Last night he woke up at 3 am wide awake as if it was the middle of the day, and I was unable to get him back to sleep. He would doze and wake up for the rest of the night until 7 am and then was awake until he had a morning night at 10 but then only slept for about an hour.. I have been reading different articles, and some suggest he may be going through a growth spurt.. An ideas?