4 weeks too young to put on schedule?

• I have a 4 week old that seems to have trouble going to sleep on her own at night.   I will admit that we have gotten really bad about allowing her to fall asleep on our chest while laying on the couch or on our laps(like right now).  After we got her to figure her days and night when we first brought her home she did pretty good about going to sleep in her bassinet but now she cries and gets very upset so we end up holding her and yes, bring her to our bed but I can't continue to allow her to sleep on my chest every night and when I go to lay her down in her bassinet she wakes up and starts crying...

so I guess what I am asking is...  should I just let her cry?   I tried that two night ago and after about 20 minutes and me ending up getting upset and crying I got her and she was so upset she threw up.  So should I just comfort her and let her sleep where she is most comfortable at this time and wait a couple more weeks/month before making her sleep in her bassinet?

If anyone has suggestions on my situation I would love to hear from you... I am at a lost of whether I am spoiling her or being too rough if making her sleep in her bassinet, etc...

• Your baby isn't too young for you to start a routine, but is too young to stick to a routine perfectly. It is never too early to lay a good foundation for a routine, but babies at this age are still making a big adjustment from the womb. It will be a couple of months before she starts being able to do better with a schedule.

At this age you baby is too young to cry it out. She doesn't know how to comfort herself and really needs you to baby her. You can't spoil a baby this small. Just hold her and rock her as much as you need to. This stage passes by really fast, so enjoy it and do not worry about spoiling her.

• We had the same kind of Problem, our Baby wanted to be held all the time especially when Bedtime came. We never have put her in the bed with us, but she always wanted to sleep in our arms and be held all night.  After the 1st 2 weeks home with her and we all stopped being so Nervous, I was exhaused and said that's it! I am putting her on some kind of Routine! So we did! When I would lay her down for her 1st morning nap,  I would only let her sleep 2 hours then wake her up and keep her up for a while. We would only let her sleep 2 hours at a time during the day. And when it got around 5 or 6 p.m. we would let her sleep about 45 mins to an hour. Then try to keep her up for a while. by 830 or 9 she would be tired and I would swaddle and put her to bed. She would wake up at about 11pm 2 am and 5 am then be up at about 7 or 8 each morning. It was wonderful!! She started sleeping through the night @ 7 weeks old. Anyways I alos had the problem of running in their to her if she started crying 5 mins. after I put her to bed at night. She would be Full, Dry, Swaddled & Asleep, when i put her in the bassinet. a few mins later the crying started. I'd rock her back to sleep then the same thing would happen. This went on 3 or 4 times. It was hard @ 1st but we got to where we would let her cry for about 5 to 8 mins. then go check on her Rock her to sleep put her back in bed. It was so hard listening to her cry But my husband said you can go get her and hold her if you don't want any rest tonight. he was right.  after about 1 week to 2 weeks of this exact same routine, she would only fuss for a few mons. then fall asleep! It was so nice. Now at 4 months old we still have a Schedule. 6 to 7 pm we go for a walk outside and around the yard. 7 to 730 pm is bathtime. After bath it's her bedtime bottle then between 8 and 830 pm we put her to bed and she sleeps till about 530 to 630 am. I also found out if you Bathe your baby at night before bedtime bottle, it helps realx them so much and they seem to go to sleep a little better! It did for our baby anyway. I hope some of this info helped! Feel free to ask me Questions anytime, I'd be glad to help! Big Smile

• I agree with BabyNurse3.  With both of my babies I laid the foundation of a schedule down by nursing them every 2-3 hours as newborns.  Plan your feedings and try to put baby down around the same time every night.  This will make it easier for you and baby will feel more secure because they know what to expect.  As baby gets older they can go longer between feedings.  This will work for breastfed or bottle.