Is my baby having night terriors

• Hello my name is alicia. Im a new mom to a little girl who is 6 months. I still cant get her to sleep through the night. Im waking up with her every 2 hours. And in the last week or so she is been waking up and scearming and falls right back to sleep. She dose it couple times a night. Its like a nightmare or something. I know she is not in pain. I check her diaper every time. I feel horrible for her. Were both not getting enough of sleep at night! I need help! I live 2000 miles away from my family . I live around my boyfriend family.

• Im not sure if my post get sent or not! I think it got cut off! In case it did, here it is again...

The American Academy of Pediatrics states that between the ages of 6 months and 2 years, children often develop separation anxiety at night and cry out for their parents. They suggest being firm that they stay in bed, but reassure them that you will be back soon. My little boy did the same thing and I would go in there and comfort him when he was really screaming but not really talk to him or play with him. I put him back down within a minute or two and leave. After that one time, I would try to let him fuss it out and he outgrew that phase pretty quickly. I hope the same happens for you!

• I dont know if your little girl is having separation anxiety as the other post said. My son when he was about 18 months, he had night terrors. He would scream as if he was extremely scared but after I pick him up and rock him he would calm down and then I gently would put him back in his crib. He wasn't calling for me or dad, because he was still sleeping. I researched about night terrors and thats when I found out that, this is what he was going through. Sometimes he would have this episodes for a week straight, then it would go away, then it would come back again. What they say to do is not to talk at all with your child because it will just make the episode last longer. All we can do is hold the child tight like a hug, to calm the child down.

To help your child sleep through the night might be just as simple as making a routine of making sure she is well fed before going to bed, and making sure she is taking about 2 naps a day. A child that is well rested will have a better sleep through the night. That's what helped my son sleep through the night. I stop feeding him at night when he was 4 months old. I fed him about 30 min before he went to bed. When he used to wake up at night I would give his pacifier and he would fall right back to sleep on his own.

You should talk to your peditrician about the night feedings to see what he/she recommend.

Sorry for writting too much, hope this helps!Smile

• You are doing the right thing by making sure that your baby is not in pain and is in a safe place. I think that a good look over by the doc is in order though. In my practice, for example, i am seeing a lot of ear infections this week, and so a source of pain that is not visible should be ruled out. From your description it sure does sound like night terrors, and "mommy_of_boys" had some great suggestions to get you through the weekend until you can get in to the docs office next week. Keep us posted! :) Jess
  • Hi my 4 soon to be 5 month old does the same thing. Sometimes she makes a sharp cry or you can just hear her making these noises.  I notice when she does awake at times she will cry if I'm not there and as soon as I show her I'm right there she starts smiling and as happy as can be because she's really a happy baby but I think she's starting to really get attached. She still doesn't sleep through the night and she wakes between 1-2 hours now to be nursed. I try to give her the paci but when that doesn't work I just give her the breast  and she nurses and falls right back to sleep. I want to move her to her room soon but since we also have a bed in her room for mom/daddy shifts I think I'll probably end up in there more often since it will be easier for me nursing since she's out growing her bassinet. She'll start solids at 6 months so once she does maybe then it will be a little easier and she wont need to nurse as much through the night and hopefully will sleep through the night but I'm not getting my hopes up. Ironically yesterday her sister was with her and she had one of the loud out cries during sleeping and she said the only thing that worked was to give her a bottle, but then again she also thinks anything involving her lil sis cries means she's hungry.

• Anxiouslywaiting: The night time routine sounds exhausting! Hope you are hanging in there. How much does your daughter nurse during the day? I'm wondering if she isn't sort of using you for a pacifier, in a sense. Sometimes moving the baby to another room actually helps them sleep a bit better since they aren't woken up by your movements, etc. as much. Other times, it doesn't seem to have much of a helpful effect at all. I'd talk to your pediatrician about possibly starting some solids part way through the 5th month if you really do think the issue is hunger. Some babies do start a bit early, but I'd check with your doctor. Hope things get better for you!

• Alicia-I wanted to check in and see how things are going with your little one. I have been thinking about you and would love an update! -Jessica
  • @ PediNurseJulie-thanks. I do think at times she thinks I'm her paci because sometimes she falls asleep but she's still suckling and I can get the nipple out of her mouth sometimes. She'll tug a little(painless) but I get it out without having to use a finger to remove it. I notice when she's sleepy or upset she will also want to nurse. She normally doesn't nurse long about 4-7 min or so, so when she's still on and dozed off just suckling I'll normally remove it. During the night I'm still trying the paci first but as soon as I try and put it in her mouth she's already pushing it out wanting to nurse. I think I've kinda gotten used to it so I'm not as tired as I should be although last night was rather challenging and I was rather upset like-enough already mood, nonetheless she got her way. DD1 is anxious and waiting with her 1 month count down to feed since she asked could she feed her 1st and since she'll turn 6 months on a school day I'm sure she will be up early that day praying dd2 is up so she can feed her but I may just let her feed her the day before when she gets in from school-Kodak momentBig Smile

• I agree that you should take her to the doctor if you haven't already. My children always did this when they had an ear infection and it can be hard to diagnose. Once the doctor has ruled out any illness or complication like reflux, you can tackle any behavioral problems. Good luck.

• Its been almost a year since i wrote this and im still having the same problems. Has seen the doctors. they said its night terriors! still waking up two to three times a night, shell be two next month!

• Oh my - I feel for you! So sorry that you are still dealing with this. At least you know there is nothing medically wrong, but that doesn't help your sleep deprivation! I'm sure you've tried every tactic out there...just know that there are people out there who sympathize with you and are hoping she grows out of this eventually. Hugs!

• OH my this is bad..I feel for you because I know how hard it is to keep getting up in the middle of the night. What did they tell you to do to help her deal with her night terrors? 

• So sorry you are dealing with this... seeing your daughter go through this night after night must rip you apart inside, and the sleep deprivation doesn't help. One day it will solve itself, and I am hoping that day comes very soon.