HELP!

• My baby girl is 7 monthsand 3 weeks old.  She is very smart and strong and reaches her milestones right on time, and usually way before.  She loves to stand up and over the past month, she has been pulling herself up to standing and cruising in her crib often.  I want to encourage this, but I have a couple of problem's now that she is more mobile.  First, she got two teeth a couple of months ago, and when she stands up in her bed, she likes to chew on her crib.  Second, all of this pulling up, standing up and cruising in her crib is causing her to delay taking a nap and even miss a nap during the day.  I'm a stay at home mom, and now my hands are more full than they already were, as I'm going up and down the stairs, rocking her, and doing all I can to try to get her to take a nap.  Any suggesstions???

• My baby boy is 10 months old, and I had gone through exactly same thing. My son chewed on his crib, and I used to call him baby rabbit. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's just a part of their teething routine. My older son did the same thing as well. You can get crib rail protector from many baby store including Babys R Us, and it will help protecting your little one's teeth as well as her crib. Their teeth are strong, and I don't think chewing the crib will damage her teeth.

However, I had to do something when he started to fight his sleep. He guess he was so excited about his mobility, he didn't want to go to bed. Although he was super tired from moving around all day long, he didn't want to stay calm in his crib. I used to rock him to sleep, then as soon as I put him down to his crib, he would stand up and crusing around. Rocking 25 pounds baby to sleep was just too much for me, and hewas not getting 2 naps that he was supposed to get for his age. so I started the sleep training when he reached 8 month. I did "let the baby cry" training, and it worked just perfect. It took him about 2 weeks to get it done, but after 2 weeks, all I need to do was put him in the crib at 9~9:30am for his first nap, 2~2:30pm for his second nap, and 6:45~7:15pm for night sleep. He now falls a sleep in a minute or two, and he sleeps until anywhere between 6am and 7:30am He used to only get 11 hours sleep a day before the sleep training, and now he gets 13~15 hours a day.

I did the same thing with my older one, but I waited until he was over one. I was first time mom, and I couldn't hear may baby crying for half an hour. Now I wish I started the training little ealier because now I can enjoy watching my favorite TV show or reading book after 7 pm. Once I put them into their crb/bed, I am free until I go to bed. I get more sleep now, and it's the freedom I never had, and now I am finally doing my baby's first year album and things that I set aside due to lack of time or energy.

I went through few books and websites for advise, and the link below is one of the website I found very helpful. Hope ot helps, and good luck!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sleep-training-the-basics_1505715.bc 

• TXMamaBear-

So far as her using nap time to play this is not something that you can totally control.  So long as it is safe for her to be standing in her crib then the best thing to do is to put her in her crib and let her be.  When she gets tired she will fall asleep.  So long as she has you trained that the minute she is awake you will be there holding and interacting with her then she will stay awake and keep you busy.  I'm looking forward to hearing what other mom's have to suggest in regard to her chewing on the crib rails.

Keep us posted on how things are going,

Jess

• I believe that babies R Us has some sort of crib shield that you can put on the edges of the crib so that they are ruined by cute little teeth. I may be wrong but I did babysit for a couple who had something like this for their sons crib and it worked wonders! I hope you can find it! As for the not napping, I agree with the other comment, as long as she is safe in her crib leave her there. It may take a couple of days or even a week for her to get the picture, but eventually she will wear out, however if she is crying in the crib then that is up too you, I know that I dont like leaving my baby crying in the crib, but its every mothers decision :) So good luck!

• My little boy chewed his crib rails on his brand new crib like a beaver the minute we put him down for his first nap in it. Oh man...I was not too thrilled about that. If you go to Babies R Us, they have several options for covering the rails in a gummy adhesive, a plastic cover, and cloth covers. I didn't want to spend the money on it all and took the crib bumper and tied it over the rails in a tight fashion so that it folded over and covered it. That took care of it for me. Hope this helps!
  • My daughter just learned to crawl, and has delayed her naps as well because she's playing around in her crib.  I agree with what was said above: just let her play and when she's tired she'll sleep.  We also did the cry-it-out method with her (starting at about 4.5 months), and, as hard as it was at first, looking back now it was worth it.  Good luck!!