Health Insurance for Baby

• Hello!  I'm 24 years old and in my 19th week of pregnancy.  I am fortunate enough to be covered by my father's health insurance until I am 26, but the baby will not be.  I'm having trouble finding any available health insurance for the the newborn independent of myself.  I don't make a lot of money so I'm trying to find something affordable before I opt for medicaid.  Does anyone have any advice recommendations for me?  This is my first pregnancy so I'm a bit clueless as to where to even start with this!  Thanks and I hope to hear from you :)

• amwolf18-

I am hoping that others will be able to offer your more advice on this topic.  However I do think that you will have the option of adding the baby to dad's insurance.  Other than that a lot of it depends on what state you live in.  The are also private insurances might also be an option.  You might do a google search for private insurance in your state.  I know that premera, regence and several other companies offer private plans but I'm not sure if they do this for infants.  It might be a good idea to ask your doctor about this as the clinic social worker will have good advice for you, the other option being the social worker in the hospital.

Keep us posted,

Jessica

• Hi amwolf18,

My sister was not on any insurence either but she found phidelis and it covers her and the baby and its good. She dont have to pay anything. Look it up and give it a try. Hope things work out for you.

-sweetp71510

• I would call up your local community health clinics or even call up the pediatrician that you pick out for your baby and ask for some resources regarding who to call and where to look. Most likely they will have some places for you to investigate. If not, I would start to call the major insurance companies in your area (do a search online for the names and numbers) and ask them to help guide you to the the best plan and find out what the price will end up being. Good luck with this!!
  • Amwolf18-did you ever find any resources? I've been thinking about you and hoping you were able to find something!