Premature Babies

• Does anyone with premature babies know if there is a significant difference in growth than a full-term baby? I'm curious if they will start teething around the same time full-term babies do. I'm aware of the possible development delays. Does anyone have babies born around 32 weeks with any advice or care to write about there development? Also how do you figure out the "corrected age"? I have an idea but not exactly sure. And when do you stop using the "corrected age"?

• Those are great questions and I know we have several moms of preemies here on StrongMoms. I'm not sure about most of your questions, but I do think they generally catch up with their full term friends around the age of two.

• Hi, My son was born at 32 weeks only weighing 2 lbs 15 oz. He will be 1 year old on the 27th! I have seen a very significant difference between his growth and a full term baby. He now weighs 17 lbs and is 29 inches long. He is catching up in height much faster. Everyone always thinks he is about 6 months old because he is so small. My doctor has told me that at around age 2 is when they should be "caught" up. I have also heard that from other people. As far as teething in my son's case he will be 1 and still has yet to get his first tooth. I don't know that it is completlely to do with prematurity though. I would imagine it has some to do with it.  The doctor always tells me to tell peolpe he is 2 months earlier in age than he actually is being 2 months early. So with him turning 1, he says to tell people he is 10 months and at that developmental stage. I still say he is 1 and just premature.  As you said deveolpment is delayed at there gestational age....so with him turning 1 he is really at a 10 month olds development. Which is also his corrected age.....that wouyld continue through until around 2 when they are supposed to be caught up. Hope that was of some help and if you have any further questions please ask. I could write a book about my sons very hectic first life so I'm sure I've experienced most that would be questioned. Good luck!!

• My daughter was born at 33 wks and in the NICU for 3 weeks. She is now 6 mths old and doing great!!! Her pedi said to anticipate her to be behind and meet milestones for her corrected age. The way you figure that out is by subracting the time they missed in the womb, basically go with what your due date was supposed to be to give you their age. My daughters corrected age is 4 mths.  Our daughter is in the 5-10 percentile for weight but that is also done on a full term delivery scale so you have to give them some leeway there.

It is normal and expected for preemies to miss milestones and they usually are caught up by the age of 2. Good Luck

•  THANX FOR YOUR INPUT MY BABY IS 7 MONTHS BORN AT 33 WEEKS 15 LBS AND13 OUNCES ALWAYS SICK WITH EAR INFECTIONS IS MARCH OF DIMES WORK? WE GO THROUGH ALOT! i KNOW HE IS A BIT BEHIND i JUST TRY TO COPE.

• My son was born at 30 weeks and 2 days, and is now 4 months old (2 months corrected).  He has been teething for a few weeks off and on. The pediatrician said that it is early for him to be teething, but did confirm it.  He said that most preemie's born at his GA would begin teething at 6 months (4 month's corrected).  Other preemie mom's have told me that it just depends on the child.  I hope this helps. 

• Hello fellow preemie mom.  My baby was born at 30weeks and 5days and 3lbs 1oz.  She is now 4 months old.  Corrected age is from their due date so my baby is only 2 months old.  Our doc is pleased with her development.  She eats 4 oz each feeding and sleeps through the night.  She gave us tylenol and directions to call her if she develops a fever because any time now we could see teeth, but not to worry if we don't.  We may not see for 2 more months.  If you go by the normal development chart some things she is on a 2 month old and some on the 4 month old.  I say she is on her own chart and will write a book someday on her amazing journey.

• My sons where born 34 weeks, and they are 5 now. They are the smartest children in their kindergarten class and they are the biggest. They were a little slow at first but when we got them home they put on the weight and height like it was going out of style. Be patient you'd be suprised what premies will do.

• In private practice, I have seen some premature infants catch up in height and weight as early as 6 or 9 mons., however, each baby is different. Usually, most preemies catch up in height and weight between 12-24 months. Some premature babies remain slightly smaller than average throughout the lifespan. Depending on whether your premature baby has suffered health complications or has not been eating appropriately, his/her growth may be slowed and this will result in a lower percentage on the growth curve. You also have to take genetics into consideration. If both parents are shorter, then the child will be shorter, whether they were premature or not. Depending on your child's size, the most important thing is acceptance. Now and as you child grows older, encouraging proper nutrition and accepting that he/she may be a little smaller than average is key.

• Hi, my baby was born at 33 weeks and was in the NICU for 6 weeks. He weighed 3lbs 12oz, had no major complications but took him a whle to get the whole breathing on his own thing down. He is doing great now at home and growing like a weed (12lbs)! He eats 4oz every 2 to 3 hours and sleeps pretty well at night. My doc has said to go by his real age as far as when he will start on cereal, baby foods etc...and even told me I needed to quit treating him like a patient/preemie and enjoy my baby! So although he is 3 months old (1 month corrected) he will still start on solids in December when he is 6 months. Don't know yet about teething, we haven't got there yet but I look forward to following to see what others say about that. :)

• Hi Megan:

There is a distinct difference in premie babies, and when they hit their milestones.  Quite often it depends on when the child is born, and then their environment once they are home. 

To figure out your corrected age, you take your original due date given to you by your doctor, and you use that as your corrected age.  It's pretty simple.  Depending then upon what, if any issues your child has coming out of the NICU, that will help determine development delays.  Check with your local county agency to determine if there are any extra programs that may be of help to you.  I know with my son, we have a number of programs that are going to be assisting us while we work with my son and his development.  Many of these programs are free, (Excellent!) or have little cost, and some of them are not income dependent. (Bonus!) As being parents of premie children, we have enough to worry about.

General rule of thumb was that most premie children are caught up by the age of 2, however for some children, specifically the micro premie variety, they have started using the age of 5 or 6. 

HTH, and good luck getting your little one home. 

-TP

• I was looking for the same answer! I think my baby is starting to teethe because he seems to be drooling and chewing on his hand and clothes but he's not hungry. He was born 32 weeks and 6 days and was in the NICU for 3 weeks. He weighed 4.5 pounds. He's going to be 4 months old at the end of December but he's really only 2 months old. He drinks 4 oz of the Neosure every 3-4 hours and can sleep a good 5 hours at night. My ped told me they'll start him on cereal at 6 months old. He now weighs 9 pounds 9 ounces.

• hi my babygirl was 5 weeks 1 day early and she will be 4 months end of december as well.. i was reading ur comment and my daughter eats her hands and drools like crazy i think she is going to teeth but everyone tells me no its at around 6 months they do..  has the ped started ur child on cereal or anyting yet?

• Drooling in itself is not necessarily a sign that the teeth will be popping out anytime soon. My third child drooled since he was 5 months old and didn't cut his first tooth until he was almost a year old! Babies do use their mouths to explore things....so chances are, she is just exploring her newly found hands!!!

• Remember that every child is different, therefore, their growth and development will vary with age, as well. Usually, premature infants will catch up with their full-term counterparts at around 24 months of age. In terms of vaccinations, they are given at chronological age, not corrected age. Assessment of growth, feeding skills, and development should be based on a corrected age for preterm infants. Use of the actual date of birth to calculate age will lead to inappropriate assessment and advice.

• The Corrected age (CA) or Gestational Age (GA) is based on the age the child would be if the pregnancy had actually gone to term.
  • Chronological age (CH) is a term that is used to indicate the age from the actual day the child was born.
  • To calculate corrected age, the formula is as follows: CA = CH - # weeks or months premature