Going back to work.

• I'm dreading returning to work. I've been off since February 6th due to issues with my pregnancy.  Now my daughter is almost 8 weeks. I have to return to work, unless they fire me. I know the people that I'll leave her with know how to care for her and are family. I just don't want to leave her. I know I'm not the only mom that feels this way. How did you cope with returning to work?

• Dee8706-

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing doing something that you do not want to do.  I know that a lot of mom's feel exactly as you do!  I'm glad to hear that you have family to care for her, but can very much understand your feelings.  I think that change of any kind is hard-good or bad.  You may be surprised though and find that you enjoy the time being at work and that it only makes that time with your daughter even more precious.  Hang in there, I'll be sending positive thoughts your way for a good first day back,

Jess

• Oh goodness - going back to work is one of the hardest things moms deal with. I remember just crying and feeling so sad as the days counted down till I went back. I have to say that the first day or two was the worst and then things really did get a little better. You begin to realize that your daughter will love you just as much and you really do love the time you get together. If you can, start back part way through the week so that your first week back at work is only a partial week. That makes it a little easier to get through the first few days if you know you have the weekend ahead. Just keep those little bedtime routines and things you have intact so you have special moments with your daughter. Hang in there!!

• That would be true if I couldn't get forced over and in early everyday. On top of that I'm 2nd shift. It's going to be even harder for me for that reason. Also my husband is truck driver that goes out of state daily (2nd shift also). So the bed time routine can't stay the same :/.

• Dee8706,

Oh gosh, things just aren't easy sometimes.  I don't know that I have any great advice but I'd like to offer you a gentle hug across the wireless waves.  We are here if you need some support, so please let me know if there is anything I can help with.  I'm always happy to listen if you just need to vent as well!

Hang in there,

Jess

• I'm sorry. :-( Well, even if bedtimes can't stay the same, you can create little morning routines you do together. I work evening shift too. It's hard when you have to switch things around. I just know that no matter what anyone said to me, I was really sad about leaving my little boy. It's something you just have to struggle through at first but it really does get better - promise. Hugs to you.

• Sorry that you have to go back Dee... I guess you can take some solace that you are working so hard and sacrificing your time so your baby can have a better life. At a time when millions of Americans are out of work, you are lucky to be employed. I know this is obvious and may not make you feel better, but you will find that you can somehow settle into some kind of routine and work around it. What I always remind myself and my wife is that we need to always appreciate the time we do have together with our kids. Good luck and hopefully you will feel better about things in the coming weeks.

• When do you have to go back to work? It is hard no matter when you go back.... because you miss her. I though the first few weeks were the hardest on me--not her and then I got into a routine and it wasn't so bad. Just be sure you bring lots of Kleenex that first day and call your sitter as often as you need to! I'll be thinking about you and wishing you well.