SLEEPING THREW THE NIGHT

• MY DAUGHTER ALMOST 9 MONTHS AND STILL WAKING UP AT 3AM LOOKING FOR A BOTTLE, HOW DO I GET HER TO SLEEP THREW THE NIGHT EVEN AFTER I HAVE WASHED AND FEED HER. HELP PLZ

• First of all, welcome to Strong Moms! At 9 months old, your baby shouldn't need to eat a bottle in the middle of the night, so you are probably dealing with a habit. Luckily, habits can be broken. You will have to be tough though,...and the first several nights will be rough. When your baby wakes up in the middle of the night, walk in her room and tell her that everything is okay and that it is night time. Then pat her on her back, give her a pacifier (if she takes it) and turn on a night light or something. Then leave the room. If you have to pick her up, go ahead and then rock her for a few minutes and then put her back down. She will cry a lot, but hang in there. After about 5 minutes, go back in and do the same thing exactly. Then leave again for 10 minutes. Keep increasing the time you are gone until she goes to sleep...She will go to sleep. Do it again the next night and DO NOT GIVE IN. If you give in and give her a bottle, then she will learn that if she just cries more and louder, then she will eventually get it. IF you don't give in, then she should sleep through the night in 3 nights. I have done this will all of my children (4 of them) and it works wonderfully!

• The first thing you need to do is rule out some medical issue by checking with your doctor. If your baby has a clean bill of health, try giving her a large bottle right before bed as part of a routine. We did bath, book, bottle then bed. Hopefully the bottle will keep her fed. If she still wakes up, you know it probably is not because she is hungry but because of habit. Does she use a pacifier or some other sucking toy? If not, substitute that for her bottle and try to leave the room. Come back in 5 minutes without speaking with her or picking her up and replace pacifier and leave. Next time, wait 10 mins before coming back an so on. This may be a little more painful for the first day or two, but this strategy worked with all three of my girls. Good luck ans sweet dreams (hopefully!).

• Sleep is one of the most popular topics on here! Many babies are still waking at night for feedings and it can feel like it will never end! If your baby is not truly hungry, but just waking out of habit, you can work slowly on weaning from bottles in the night. Start out by making sure your daughter has a comfort item that she loves such as a blanket or stuffed animal. When she wakes at night, go in and give her the item she loves, pat her back and leave. Let her cry for a period of time and then go back in and do the same thing. Try to avoid turning on lights and doing a lot of interacting with her so that she knows it is time to sleep. Eventually she will go back to sleep and stop waking for her bottle. It can definitely be hard at first so hang in there!! 

• I wish I could help, but I am in the same boat. Atleast you know your not the only one who's little one doesn't sleep straight through. Good Luck!

• I'm sad to say that my hazel has recently jumped on the waking in the middle of the night train Sad I tried those techniques when she was only a couple of months old and they worked pretty effectively so it looks like it'm going to have to do it again. really i think it's her teeth waking her up. She just cut 3 and has 3 more trying to make their way in. poor girl.

• The tough thing about babies sleeping is that as soon as you think you have it figured out, they go through a spurt of teething or something that disrupts your plans! Such is parenthood!