It's Good to Vent

• Hello! I am new to this site and just wanted to know how things are going for anyone who has recently had a preemie or has ever had a preemie? My son was born on 08/29/12, 10 weeks premature. Although he is doing well now but still not home, there are days where I feel overwhelmed with emotions. I just wanted to speak to parents who can relate to this experience because unless you have been through this, I don't think people would understand how it feels to leave your baby everyday in a hospital while you still have to deal with outside issues. And there have been days I just needed to vent!  Smile

• Hi Nikesha... I can't say I have experienced first hand what you are going through. However, dear friends of ours had their daughter and were told that she had about a 25% chance to live a couple of years ago and they expressed the very same emotions. Thankfully, their daughter is now healthy and recently celebrated her second birthday. while in the hospital with their daughter in the NICU, they unfortunately got to know some parents who were not so lucky. They drew strength and perspective from these experiences, as painful as they were. One day soon, your son will come home with you and I hope that day is coming soon. Good luck and congratulations on the birth of your son.

• I am a NICU nurse and I know that the process is extremely rough for parents. I watch them all go through the ups and downs, highs and lows of having a baby in the NICU. Try to keep your spirits up and bond with your baby as much as you can. Focus on the positive steps he is taking every day and talk to the nurses if you are concerned. They can often help alleviate your fears. Good luck and let us know how he does!

• Just as the others have I wanted to offer you my support, plus a big hug.  I also have worked int he NICU and have seen how hard it is on parents to not be able to just take their baby home.  I think there is so much medica about having the perfect pregnancy and those first days at home that when things don't go just like this parents feel that they have failed or they are just very disappointed.  If there is any part of you that is caught in the "I failed" mentality I'd ask you to let go of that totally!  In regard to not being able to just take your baby home, this is really hard.  Part of what often helps is to acknowledge and grieve the loss of the easy perfect delivery.  Hving empathy for yourself is really important here, as is reaching out to family and friends (as well as those awesome RNs in the nursery) for support. Also do let us know how we can best support you.  I am also always here if you need to just vent!

Take care,

Jess