Dealing with diaper rash

• When my third child was born, he developed a bad case of diaper rash. We tried all the over-the-counter creams until our pediatrician finally prescribed him something a bit stronger. He especially liked warm baths to soothe the irritation. Has anyone else had to deal with diaper rash? How did you help your baby feel better? -- Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• Ohhh, nothing worse than diaper rash. :(  Poor little ones!  A few of my favorite diaper rash remedies:

-Warm bath and then let baby spend some good diaperless time-often a good time to do tummy time with diaper underneath baby but with bare bottom up.

-Combo creams-it's often hard to sort out what is causing a diaper rash and so another mom taught me about the benefits of combo creams.  I can often narrow diaper rashes down to either: fungal/yeast, infection (from skin breaking down and then being open), inflammation and or irritation.  So, i learned to combine over the counter hydrocortisone, over the counter fungal/yeast cream, double antibiotic cream or ointment and then a good butt paste (zinc oxide).  I squirt equal amounts of each cream into a new contained and mix it all together.  Then after giving baby bath and allowing his bottom to dry well i paste on the mixture.  I do this 2-3 times a day.  Then i make sure to be really diligent about using a good barrier cream as a preventive.  Any 'butt paste' works well for this. 

-Once the diaper rash is cleared I make sure that anytime i start to see redness or that baby has diarrhea i start using that barrier cream as to prevent recurrence of a bad rash.

hope that helps,

Jess