dandruff

• hi,   My 3 month old has what I believe is craddle cap... she has a spot on the top of her head that is scaley and flakes off like dandruff.    I bought some shampoo for it but was wondering how often I should wash her hair and if there is any recommendations on how to get rid of it?

Thanks!!

Haley's Mom

• My four month old has the same thing but it's excema, which is sometimes caused by an allergic reaction. It's not serious and most babies outgrow it eventually. Our daughter's is more widespread, so we made an appointment with an allergist. I would ask your doctor to look at it to make sure that's what it is.

Also, be careful with dandruff shampoo, as the chemicals may be too harsh for your baby's delicate skin. Our doctor told us to wet and baby soap her head and gently scrub her scalp with a soft toothbrush and this did the trick in the short run, but we have had to do it several times.

Hope this helps!

• Definitely consult your doctor on this before using dandruf shampoo, as it is very harsh and has a lot of chemicals that bother even adults. Cradle cap usually goes away on its own.

• True cradle cap tends to have a yellow tint to it and be thick and scaly. You can Google images of it. If that is what you are looking at, ask your doctor what he or she recommends. If it is eczema, even baby shampoos for cradle cap could make it worse. My daughter has a patch of eczema on her head. Washing makes it worse.

• I am going to repeat what other moms and dads have posted, and write that you should check w/ your doctor before using a product or method.  My daughter had cradle cap that caused ALL of her hair to fall out.  Our doctor told us to use dandruff shampoo.  My son has cradle cap, and our doctor told us to buy a cradle cap serum (that can be found in a green bottle w/ famous cartoon characters on the front) and follow the directions on the bottle.  Both of those things worked wonders.

• Has the doctor looked at it yet?

• Thanks to everyone who responded to my email!   I had bought the cradle cap shampoo that shortly after posting this and only used it 2-3 times and it help clear up her scalp but did not want to use it long term because of it not being as sensitive as normal baby shampoo.      I was at the pediatrician yesterday and she said I could use it as a "as need" basic if it looks like her scalp starts to look scally again.

• Glad to hear it is looking better.

• Our doctor told us to use baby oil and then comb they hair in the opposite direction.  She said to use a comb and not a brush as it will get more of it off.  Then wash their hair like normal.  We have been doing it and it seems to help.

• I totally agree with you Christa. My mother in law advised me of the baby oil and comb and it works great. We usually do it a couple times a week it works well. I let the baby oil sit for about 5 mins and then use the comb. Plus Im sure this way is cheaper than the cradle cap shampoo...

• Glad to hear that it has improved!