Sleep issue - rocking causing a problem??

• My son is a little over 4 months old and has been a pretty good sleeper.  He sleeps through the night probably two or three days a week and if he does wake up it is between 4 and 6 am.   Lately we are having an issue.  I would say once or twice a week he wakes up screaming and when we pick him up he falls right back to sleep on our shoulder.  The crying wouldn't stop so I brought him downstairs to the swing and he is sleeping.  Is this bad???  Could it be possible that he needs the rocking to stay asleep??  When we lay him down awake at bedtime he can soothe himself to sleep, but not when he wakes up.  Help, I don't know what to do. 

• I don't think its a problem the baby is only 4mths and normally a good sleeper. At this point its what works to get you all a good night sleep.  I have 19 wk old twin girls and I have had some of those nights and I have done laps walking around the house, I too have used the swing to help soothe one or both the babies back to sleep. Babies are use to the rocking motion from being in the belly... Good luck and Good night..

• At 4 months old, your baby will be many things.....but consistant is not one of them. You will continue to have those nights for a while. He might just be experiencing more alert states and be aware of your absence when he wakes up, or he may just have a gas bubble or upset tummy. My guess is that he just "misses" you. Go pick him up and soothe him, let him know that you are there and that he is safe. Then put him down and pat him. If need be, play some soothing music or "sounds of nature" for him to associate with sleep. I am sure that this little phase will soon pass...Good luck

• I wouldn't worry about it. Babies go through phases like this. It will probably be over just as suddenly as it started.

• Babies love routine and schedule. I think you should let him try and go back to sleep and just maybe calm him with rubs if he is crying. I would not make any extra noise or movement because if you do that makes him think it is time to move and make noise. If you rock now..you will be rocking at 30 and 40 pounds. Try a routine that works and stick as close to it as possibe..if he breaks the routine..try to steer him back to it