I have a screamer....

• Okay, this is my situation now..... My son is now six and a half months old, and I can't seem to do ANYTHING without him literally screaming if I put him down. (even to change his diaper) He plays peek a boo really well, but if I were to walk away for a second ( out of his sight) he freaks. I have a three and a half year old who tries to help, but that just seems to make it worse. She'll tell him mommy will right back its okay and try to play with him but until I walk back in the room he is crying. If my husband is holding him and I walk away, he does it then too. I don't know what to do. I know from reading the the news letters I get every month, now is around the the time for him to act this way, but I just didn't think it was going to be this bad. My daughter never did this. I drop my children off at my mother in laws in the morning when I go to work and as soon as I get off I pick them up. If my daughter runs up to me for her after work hi mommy hug, he starts fussing because I didn't give my full attention right then. Can it be jealously? Is he afraid of something? I don't know what to do. Like I said before, I can't even walk out of his sight for a second. It's so bad even when I attempt to cook dinner or wash dishes, house work in general, if I set him in his high chair or swing, where he can see me, he still screams.

• Does he evetually settle down? For instance, how long does he scream and carry on when you drop him off to go to work? It's easy to say from my perspective that he will grow out of it, but you have to deal with it at all times. Does he act this way with your husband if you are not around?

• He's getting toward the age where crying for a little will do him some good. It sounds like he's become very attached and that this might be more behavioral than need-based. Now might be a good time to encourage some more independent play.

I would recommend buying a new toy, something that he really responds to in the store. Once you get it home, set him up in a safe, controlled environment where you can see him and supervise, but there is clear distance between you. Then let him cry for a little while. Once he figurs out that he's not going to get what he wants, he'll start playing with the toy and not be looking for you. Try it out and see how it goes. A little crying isn't going to hurt him.