Can't Stop Checking on Baby at Night

• I'm a first time mom and I am completely obsessed with checking on my baby throughout the night while she sleeps (if she's in her crib). I can't even take her being in her crib in her room all the way on the other side of the house for too long. I want to check on her every 30minutes. I can't sleep because of it and the second she makes a noise I pick her up and put her in the bed with me at night. Then we get a good night's sleep! I want her to be able to sleep in her own bed at night, which I think she can but I have the issue with not having her by my side. I'm just so worried that she'll stop breathing or something and I won't be there to help her. What do I do? To a certain extent I don't want her sleeping in her own bed but I know this will be a habit that will continue throughout her entire childhood if I don't nip it in the bud now. And I do have a bassinet right by my bed also but I feel more comfortable with her in the bed with me...Do I have issues?? What should I do to calm my worries?

• Congratulations!  This is probably not what you want to hear, but I just had my 6th and 7th babies (twin girls) and I still worry!  I can tell you it gets better as they get a little bigger.  All of my kids spent some time sleeping either in my room or in bed with me, and all of them sleep fine in their own beds now.  My twins are a month old, and I feel most comfortable with them sleeping wherever I am.  I know it won't last forever.

Do what you can to keep them safe-no overbundling or toys in the crib, no smoking, etc.-and try to relax!  I know it's hard, but this stage will pass.

• Just a note: The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not recommend bed sharing. The safest place for a baby to sleep is in a separate sleep surface (eg, bassinet, crib, cradle) next to the parents’ bed.
  • I know it may seem like a good idea, but sleeping with your baby actually increases her risk of sleeping issues and increases her risk of SIDS. While it is completely normal to want your baby with you at all times (you do not have issues!), try to relax and remember that the safest place for her is a crib. If it makes you feel safer to place a bassinet next to your bed so you can lay a hand on her at night and check on her easier, by all means do so. But try and refrain from placing her in your bed. Talk to your pediatrician if you still want more answers, otherwise, cuddle with her all you want, but put her to bed in her OWN bed when it is time for sleep! Hope this helps!

• Oh...one more thing I forgot to add.. Pedi Nurse is right on about the Academy of Pediatrics recommendation. They do recommend babies sleep by themselves in a bedding free from soft objects, stuffed animals and blankets. Ask your pediatrician for more clarification!...Hope this helps

• You're not crazy for having these feelings, but the moms above make some excellent points. Having your baby with you may give you peace of mind in the short term, but it's not safe. Try your best to let go. Do you have a video monitor? They can be expensive but it could help provide you with the peace of mind you want while not putting your baby at risk.