Putting baby in crib instead of in bed next to Mommy

• I am a first time Mom and I have a 7 week old little girl.  She has been sleeping with me in my bed and she sleeps 5-6 hours a night.  I know it's not a good idea having a baby sleep in bed with you.  Last night I decided she needed to sleep in her own room in her crib.  I swaddled her and rocked her while I sang to her and she fell asleep in my arms. I put her in her crib.  She woke up instantly and starting crying bloody murder.  I did everything I knew of to make the room supportive for her (ie: low night light, lullabies playing softly, comfortable crib, and dressed her appropriately.  She had been fed and diaper was changed.  What else can I do?  How long should I let her cry or should I leave her in crib until she falls asleep?

• You are definitely right..while it may seem tough at first..babies are safer in their cribs. The Academy of Pediatrics doesn't recommend co sleeping and putting babies on their backs to sleep in their own beds is safest to reduce the risk of SIDS.

Try putting on a heart beat sound machine or soothing music. Swaddle your baby snuggly and try to put her down just BEFORE she falls asleep. This way she begins to get used to falling asleep on her own. You may have a few sleepless nights, but in the end it will be worth it.

• My 2 month old daughter did the same thing for a while. As soon as she was put in the crib she woke right up and screamed (so I gave in and let her sleep on my chest for a long time). With a little bit of work - and a few weeks - I was able to get her to sleep in her crib. This is what worked for us.

During the day we would "practice" laying in the crib. I put her in there for a few minutes at a time while she was already happy and alert, that way the crib didn't seem like such a foreign place at night.

Also I discovered that she could hear herself cry over the baby monitor through the bedroom walls, so I turned the monitor that was next to my bed down as soon as she would start to fuss, it reduced the stimulation. I never let her cry for more than 5 minutes because I didn't want her to associate the crib with bad feelings. If she got too upset we would call it quits for the night and try again the next day.

The last thing that I did is to nurse her lying down, belly to belly with me, in my bed. When she had a full tummy and was very sleepy (but not asleep) I would move her to the crib. It took a few weeks, but she is now sleeping in her crib, every night, and sometimes for as much as 6 hours at a time.

Good luck, be patient and trust your instincts!