My son is 9 months and is not sleeping...

• Hello Mommy's! My 9 month old son is not sleeping through the night. He wakes up 2-3 times a night. I need help with creating a schedule, but since I do retail, I don't have a set schedule and sometimes I get home at 11pm which is hard. My husband bathes and puts him to sleep at 9. He tends to wake up at midnight, 3 and 5 am. Of course, I try to feed him when he wakes up so he won't cry. Sometimes he eats and other times he just wants his pacifier. I'm tired of being tired!  I'm in desperate need of any advice! Thanks in advance...

• 9 months old is when we just let our daughter begin to cry it out when she woke up. It is very difficult to do, but being consistent one or two nights could solve your problems... it did for us. If you can take it, when he gets up at 3, let him cry for 5 mins. Then go in, replace the pacifier, say goodnight, and leave, this time for 10 mins. Keep adding 5 mins every time you go in. Although my wife and I were practically in tears, it was all worth it the next night when she slept through the night.

• have a time (i'd say about 8, 8:15) to start getting ready.

Let him know it's beed time soon. try playing for a few minutes in his room to get him used to the idea of being in there. then clean up your play stuff to let him know you're done and it's time to settle down. Then would be a good time to brush his teeth (or gums) and bathe him. Try to keep this time low-key. Not a lot of action going on in the tub. Limit toys to one or two and you or dad should be kinda quiet and soothing. Pour lots of warm water over his back and back of head. This is usually soothing. Try the bedtime body wash form Johnsons. Then head back to his room (not living room or yours) to get ready for bed. I also suggest the bedtime powder/lotion at this time. make sure his PJ's are comfy and appropriate for the tempeture of your house during the night. by then it should be around 8:45. now you can try to get him in the bed and read him a bedtime story. My daughter liked for me to turn on her lullaby CD and "tickle her back" with my fingertips. if your baby is ticklish and might think that's play time, i would suggest trying something else that gets him calm. Every baby is different. Then when it's time, lay him down, give him his pacy and cover him w/ blankets, kiss him goodnight and tell him you'll see him in the morning. I would have some kind of music playing and a dim light to scare off the boogey men. When he does get up, I agree w/ answer dad. Go in quietly, don't stay long, and leave again. tell him "i'll see you in the morning. Mommy loves you". next time wait even longer and do the same thing. he'll eventually get the idea that you're close by, but not on his demand and that he should sleep all night and see you when the son us up.

• -STRONGDAD-

TONIGHT I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE! I HAVE TRIED TO LET HIM CRY IT OUT, BUT 5 MINUTES SEEMS AN ETERNITY. I THINK MAYBE BEING "CONSISTENT" WILL BE THE SOLUTION.  THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE & I HOPE THAT IT REALLY WORKS! Smile

• -KRYZ10-

THAT SEEMS LIKE A WONDERFUL PLAN...AND I HOPE IT WORKS FOR ME. MY SON IS MORE ATTACH TO ME THAN HIS FATHER...EVEN THOUGH MY HUBBY IS A WONDERFUL DAD. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I'M NOT ALWAYS HOME AT THE TIME...SO I WONDER IF THAT'S PART OF THE PROBLEM...WHAT DO YOU THINK? THANKS A LOT!

• Everyone is right....develop a nighttime routine that both you and your hubby can follow. This will let your baby know that it is bedtime. For the next week, you will need to let your baby cry a bit at night. At 9 months old, he doesn't need to eat at night, unless your pediatrician is worried about his weight gain. He is merely waking up out of habit. Decide AHEAD OF TIME....what you will do when he wakes up. My suggestion is to go in his room and give him his pacifier. Then pat him on his back a few times and tell him that "Mommy is here...it is night time..go to sleep." Then you need to leave the room. He will probably freak out and cry for a while but you need to let him. Then after 10 minutes or so, go back in and do the same thing over again. BE CONSISTENT. After a night or two you will be amazed at how quickly he goes back to sleep and then after 4-5 nights, he should be sleeping through the night.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• LAST NIGHT I TRIED TO LET ME SON "CRY IT OUT", BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY HUSBAND GAVE IN SINCE MY SON STARTED CALLING FOR HIM AFTER I IGNORED HIM. HOW CAN I MAKE MY HUSBAND UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S OKAY FOR OUR SON TO CRY? YESTURDAY, WE HAD DINNER AT 5:30, WE WERE PLAYING W/ MY SON UNTIL 7 AND THAT'S WHEN I GAVE HIM A SNACK. AT 7:30, I BATHE HIM WITH THE LAVENDER SOAP AND AT 8 I PUT HIM ON HIS CRIB AFTER HE FINISHED HIS BOTTLE. HE CRIED FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE HE FELL ASLEEP. AT MIDNIGHT, HE WAS CRYING. I WOKE UP, GAVE HIM HIS PACIFIER AND PATTED HIS BACK. HE CONTINUED TO CRY AND WHEN 5 MINUTES PASSED, MY HUSBAND WOKE UP TO GET HIM. I BREASTFED HIM AND THEN HE WENT TO SLEEP. AT 3 AND 5 HE WOKE UP AGAIN. IT WAS A CRAZY NIGHT JUST LIKE THE OTHERS. HE JUST RECENTLY STARTED TO WAKE UP AT NIGHT. I WOULDN'T MIND LETTING MY SON CRY IT OUT FOR A LITTLE BIT, BUT HOW CAN I MAKE MY HUBBY UNDERSTAND THAT? I DON'T MIND WAKING UP..HIS OUR SON AND WE LOVE HIM DEARLY, BUT I THINK HE SHOULD SLEEP ALL NIGHT...AM I BEING TOO SELFISH? PLEASE HELP!

•  Buy your husband some ear plugs! He is probably caving in and getting your son because he is waking up too. It is hard to stay awake at night listening to a baby cry...especially if you have to get up for work in the morning. Talk to your husband about the sleep ideas you have and tell him that you would like to try it out for one week. Then buy your husband some ear plugs and start the process on a Friday night when your husband doesn't have to get up early for work. Hope this helps...hang in there.

• There are different schools of thought on this subject. Personally, I subscribe more to the AP style and do not let my children "cry it out". There is nothing wrong with a 9 month old (esp. BF) waking to eat throughout the night.