6 Months and Still No Schedule!

• As much as i hate to admit it, I rather enjoyed my son's sleeping habbits when he was just born rather than now. Going on 6 months and 12 days, he has decided that he is going to wake up three times every night and cry himself to death. I have no idea if it's because he is bored, or because he just wants mommy. I feel like I am doing everything right...

I give him a bath every night, so that it sooths him to sleep. I feed him baby food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day (6 oz bottles inbetween if he gets overly fussy because he wants his milk). I change his diapers every time his little rear end gets wet. I play with him for hours in his bouncer, on the floor, and just holding him. Am I doing something wrong that makes him stay up at night? He is a VERY happy baby, but every time I leave for a split second it's cry me a river. When i try talking to him from afar he's all smiles and giggles. I look down to wash dishes, and he just wont have that.

I can't give him my full attention every second of every day. And between all that, he only takes two naps a day (which only last from 25-30 minutes). How is this munckin not tired!? I would appreciate some advice. I've tried everything from buying him new toys, to taking him with me even when I vaccume. Am I a bad mother? Am I spending too much time with my child? Personally I don't think so, but sometimes I wonder if Im just making him a mommys boy. (Although it can't be helped since his father is out to sea every month).

• I higly recommend the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child."  It worked wonders for my second son, and noe I am using it for my third!

• I just want to tell you that you are not alone.  I totally understand.  My son is 9 months old and he is still not sleeping through the night.  He wakes up at least 2 times at night.  My breastfeeding support group said that it's probably because he is going through a growth spur.  I just know exactly what you are going through.  I feel so sleep deprived.  My older two children were sleeping through the night at 6 months. So I think every baby is different.  Good Luck!!!!  So don't feel bad there are other moms that are going through what you are going through.  If you need someone to talk to just e-mail me.  Let me know how it goes.

• Whew! You must be TIRED, especially with dad out to sea and not being there to give you much of a break. I have a few questions for you. What do you do for him when he wakes up at night? Do you just let him cry? Do you go in there and pick him up? Feed him? Whatever habits you have gotten into with him may determine why he is waking up. I'd be curious to hear more! With regards to not being able to do anything without him crying for you during the day, it sounds like your little guy is possibly going through a separation anxiety stage where he wants to be with you at all times. My boy did the same thing. At a certain point, I would just sit him in his high chair with some toys or food and talk to him while I did dishes or cooked dinner. He eventually learned how to be "near me" and play without me having to do it all WITH him. Keep setting him up with toys and things to do and gradually increase the amount of time that you leave him to just play while you are near by. At first he may not like it, but he will eventually learn to cope and soothe himself and play. It will be necessary for your sanity and his independence skills. Hang in there!
  • Hi, he's now 9 months old, any improvement/changes? My LO doesn't sleep either through the night or long naps unless she's laying on top of me which tends to hurt my back after a while. I am also exclusively breast feeding and she has not started solids as of yet, waiting till 6 months. If she's playing she does allow me to live her for a little but when she's asleep if she awakes and I'm not there she will normally begin to cry. She also may be teething, not too sure. You are not a bad mom.