6 week old does not sleep/crying

• 6 week old does not sleep

I am breastfeeding my 6-week old. Her day would start around 7-7:30am, when I would feed her, she would stay awake through the feeding (about 20-30 min), and then for another hour, when we communicate. She is somewhat vertical when we do that, so that the air is out of her stomach and the food stays where it belongs. I also burp her a few times during the feeding. She does some "coo-ing", some funny sounds, and overall seems content. I would put her down when she starts frowning/yawning, making it about 1.5 hours after the start of the feeding. By then she is changed up, bundled up, and usually doses to sleep (with or without some "white noise" sound of the radio and some gentle rocking).

She would wake up about 30-40 minutes after, and make her presense known (crying). Picking her up, rocking/shhhhh-ing helps, and she starts dosing off again. I put her down - she starts crying. The cycle can continue a few times. Sometimes, she would finally fall asleep and sometime she just would not. She would not take a pacifier, and she is not hungry (well, she would snack if she had the option, but I know for a fact that she can go 3-4 hours just fine - and she does. The recommendation to NOT give her the breast was given by our pediatrician, as, at this age, he said, snacking every 2 hours is not helping anyone. And, based on what he said, waiting for 3 hours before feeding during the day would also help extend the night sleep).

She would eat after about 3 hours, and the routine would repeat - awake for an hour+, sleep for 30-40 minutes, cry...  A night she rests better - going to sleep after feeding within about 30 minutes (not an hour), and she usually stays asleep until the next feeding (3-4 hours apart). And she poops 3-4-5 times a day, so definitely no constipation/gas, and she does not ease on crying if she poops.

I am worried about two things:

1. Is she getting enough sleep. With 8-10 feedings a day, if she is awake for that long, she does not get her 15+ hours of sleep. Yet, she seems to be content when awake (after the feedings).

2. Should I cave in - and let her snack (and that is truly what she does) during the day - every two hours? I know there are groups of people that call for feeding on demand. But what about snacking? Using breast as a pacifier....

3. And, of course, the cause for her crying. Does not seem to have any reason or explanation (not too hot, not too cold, not to excited, not too tired, not wet, not hungry, not scared, not disturbed, I am watching what I eat too, so that nothing should give her the gas.)

Suggestions?

THANK YOU!

• SORRY 2 SAY,BUT SOUNDS LIKE U HAVE A AVERAGE BABY.MY BABY AT THAT AGE TOOK 30-45 MIN NAPS ALL THE TME. I WOULD USE THE SWING TO PUT HER TO SLEEP,THE FASTER IT SWUNG,THE QUICKER SHE FELL ASLEEP. I ALSO ROCK HER TO SLEEP IN THE CAR SEAT AND THE BOUNCER. ITS HARD TO FIND THE RIGHT WAY TO PLEASE A BABY. I WAS CHECKING THE DIAPER IT SEEMED EVERY 5 MIN, R U SURE BABY GETS ENOUGH 2 EAT? HANG IN THERE  IT GETS MUCH BETTER.MY GIRL IS 5 MONTHS NOW AN I WENT THROUGH EVERYTHING U SAID

• It sounds like your baby is happy and content for the most part, which is good. Some babies just don't need as much sleep as others. With that said, I would run this by your pediatrician to rule out any medical problems such as reflux etc. Once you can rule out anything medically, I would then try and establish a sleep routine. It sounds like you are already doing a good job with that.

At 6 weeks, your baby is still trying to figure herself out. She will be anything BUT consistent at this age. My children loved to nap in their swings and bouncy seats which I let them do as long as I was in the room with them. If your baby is waking up after 30 -40 minutes, she may need to be swaddled tighter. Many babies this age startle themselves awake! If she doesn't like pacifiers, maybe you could try different types. Hope this helps a bit~

• i had the same problem.  my son is 9 months old and still seems like he doesnt get enough sleep, at least i feel like he doesn't get enough sleep.  till this day his naps are 15 min - 30 min long.  if i sleep with him, i'm lucky that he sleeps for an hour or so.  i voiced my concern with our pediatrician, and he said not to worry, this is normal.  if he is active, eating and so on, then baby is ok.  our pediatrician said the same thing, some babies just don't require too much sleep, so not to worry :)