just wondering

• Hi!

My son is 5 weeks and 5 days old.  Right now he is fighting taking naps throughout the day, Yesterday he was awake for 8 hours with 3, 15 min. catnaps.  Today I forced him to sleep by rocking him and cuddling him tightly.  He would close his eyes then open them and scream then close them again and fall asleep.  Is this normal?  Should I be worried?  How long will this go on?  Oh and at night he wakes up and is ready to eat every 3and 1/2 hours.

thanks to any help!

• I had the exact same problem, my daughter NEVER slept during the day and woke up every 2hrs. To this day she still doesn't, but she does sleep through the entire night, and has done so since she was 2 months old. Some babies just don't want to sleep during the day, I think it's because they don't want to miss a thing. Keep doing what your doing and do your best to get some rest.

• My baby is the same age and doing the same thing right now. I hope this is temporary!

• My son is the same age, and went through three days of this as well. The only way he will sleep during the day is if he's swadled tightly, and then it only lasts about 20 min. I'm suddenly finding it very difficult to get even a shower in or the laundry done, and I thought I was doing so well until the last couple of days. He does sleep for about 5 hours at night though.

• the key to remember is all babies are different. It just be that the 15 minute naps he takes during the day are enough for him in the day. if he stops sleeping as long at night and still wont sleep during the day i'd check with his doctor. But it sounds pretty normal to me my son didn't sleep much during the day when he was younger and he slept thru the night by the time he was 3 months old. I know it hard so don be afriad to ask your family and friends for help even if it just so you can catch a little more sleep sometimes.

• My baby was doing that but now she is 10 weeks old and takes at least two or three long naps a day.  Because I had to swaddle her to get her to sleep when she was younger though I have to do that now...but thats ok...cause she stays asleep for the most part nowBig Smile

• I'm breastfeeding my baby and notice that I can get him to sleep a little longer if I top him off with a little formula.  My baby also wakes up at night every 3 - 4 hours but, I'm ok with it since I'm breastfeeding him.  It does mean that I am pretty tired all of the time.

I haven't tried this yet but a  friend suggested to me  that her friend wore baby gear that held the baby close to her body.  She sould then cook, clean, etc while the the baby would fall to sleep in the sling or whatever she used.   

• Your baby is perfectly normal.  There's no reason to be concerned.  Babies sleep differently than adults and often need help from a parent to calm down/relax enough to sleep.  Just five weeks ago your baby was in utero--it was like constant rocking and cuddling.  LOL!

He just wants what's warm and familiar to him.

It can be exhausting, but it will pass.

<<hugs>>

• My little one did this - for about two weeks. He is now almost 2 months and took a lovely 2.5 hour nap today and normally "goes down for the night" around 8:30 with two feedings/changings overnight. It does get better. Those days are tough, but time will change everything. 

• Every baby is different.

Have you tried using a baby carrier.  That works for lots of babies.  Often they nap better when their can smell their mom/caregiver & hear a heartbeat.  That way you can meet your baby's rocking/cuddling need and still be able to have your hands free for something eating a sandwich.