eating all the time

• My one month old baby eats every two hours but he wants too eat  ALLLL the time.  I nurse and let him eat for almost an hour if he wants but when I do cut him off he crys smacks his lips and tries to eat my fingers?  I don't understand how he can still be hungry after that eating for an 30 minutes plus.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• Is he hungry or just needing to suck? Try offering him a pacifier and limit your breastfeeding sessions to 20 minutes each side at the most. Then swaddle him or place him in a swing or bouncy seat and let him rest. After 2-3 hours feed again. He may just need to suck and is using you as a pacifier. Talk to your pediatrician if this continues so she can evaluate your milk production.

• I was having the same issue and it ends up that I wasn't making enough milk.  I have been feeding him breastmilk and formula.

• Is this his normal eating pattern or has this just begun?  Sometimes my little girl would get so fussy and want to eat all the time.  At first, I thought I wasn't producing enough milk, but then I read about growth spurts.  For about 3-4 days during a growth spurt she cries all the time and drinks so much milk!  She just went through her 4 month growth spurt and went from waking 1-2 times during the night to being up every 45 mins - 2 hours!  It made a huge difference though, knowing the cause and that it wouldn't last long.

However, it could be possible that your milk is low (though I've heard it's uncommon as long as you don't supplement).  Make sure you are drinking enough water.  It's hard to do when they are that young and you have so many other things on your to-do list!  Also, a pump helped me tremendously...not only can you see if you are producing enough, but pumping after baby eats can help promote your supply if it is low.  But if he is gaining weight properly, he may just want to suck.  Good luck and it will get better soon! :)