NICU Baby

• My Husband and I were ecstatic when our son, Jack was born.  However, shortly after birth, the nurse realized he was not breathing normally and recommended a NICU nurse come and check on him.  She did and referred a Neonatologist to come and see him.  After a brief check over, they whisked our newborn to the NICU.  After 7 days, he had been treated with antibiotics and we were told that he had had pneumonia due to meconium excretion while he was inside of me.  

Now, 2 and a half weeks later, he is still being checked for his platelet levels, which are still low and have been playing a constant up and down (more downs then ups)  since his release.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what has happened?

• I can't say I have had this issue, but I just want to wish you and your family best of luck. It sounds like your baby is in good hands and even though it seems to be dark days, stay positive and know you have a large extended family to lean on in good times and bad here at Strong Moms.

• My daughter was in NICU as well after she was born.  It was only for two days, due to her having low blood sugar. (I am a type 1 diabetic) It is extremely stressful I know... luckily the NICU nurses are wonderful and supportive.  Talk to them and take advantage of any resources the hospital offers for support.  I know it is difficult and I cannot imagine the stress of a baby in NICU so long.. but you will all be home soon!

• Jacksmom-

I wanted to offer you support as you navigate through these early weeks with an ill baby. I have not personally been the mom of a baby, but I take care of tons of sick babies.  What I can offer you is that babies are amazing in their ability to fight through illness and do beautifully in life.  I have seen 1001 miracles in 1001 babies that I have cared for in the time I have been a nurse.  Hold tight to whatever it is that gives you strength and comfort.  I will keep your baby in my thoughts.  Please keep us posted,

Jess

• As a NICU nurse and a mother of a child who was briefly in the NICU after birth, I understand your frustrations and concerns. The NICU is an amazing place, but it can also be a bit overwhelming and scary. Immediately after birth it seems like your son was having trouble breathing and developed an aspiration pneumonia from the meconium. This can be common and based on your post, it seems like they did a good job of diagnosing it and treating him with IV antibiotics. Platelets can dip too low when babies have an infection and they can have some trouble getting back to normal after an infection. It is a good idea that they are following his platelet count so closely, just so he doesn't get into any more trouble, but it is good news that they released him home.

My best advice to you is to talk to your doctor and voice your concerns..he or she may be able to put your fears to rest and let you know exactly what they are monitoring and why. Most doctors keep pretty close tabs on babies who are released from the NICU---even when they are doing well. My son was sent home on a week of antibiotics (IV) and we had follow up visits for a month! Just keep doing what you are doing and keep the communication open between you and your son's doctors. If you are concerned or worried in any way....make sure you let them know so they can explain things better. Sometimes doctors (and nurses) forget what it is like on the other side. Good luck and congratulations on your baby!

• Jacksmom -

My son was born at 30 weeks and we spent 40 days in the NICU. Clark had low platelets and needed a transfusion when he was three days old. Hopefully his platelets will bounce back to normal levels without the transfusion. I would ask your pediatrician about a vitamin supplement. Clark left the NICU slightly anemic and is still on his vitamin along with Similac's Neosure with Iron formula mixed with breast milk. Hang in there. Its scary, but Jack will pull through and this time will seem like a dream.

• My daughter was sent to the NICU because of meconium and because i had a fever during labor bt she stayed for 3 days only. I hope your child feels better soon

• Jacksmom2011-I just wanted to check in and see how you and your baby are doing.  We haven't heard any news in awhile.  I am guessing that you are very busy as a new mom!

-Jessica

• Sorry its been so long everyone!  Thank you for all the kind words and support, both my husband and I appreciate it:) 

Jack is now at home, he weighs about 10 pounds and is going to be 7 weeks on Sunday.  He had numerous lab checks even after we brought him home, some good some were not so good.  His latest lab check this past week almost everything was back to normal, his platelets are still on the rise (they are not at a normal level quite yet but are getting there).  

Other than that, he seems to be healthy and (happy when he is not crying;) 

• Thank you so much for taking the time to update us today.  I am just thrilled that your beautiful baby is at home and healthy!  What an awesome blessing.  I hope that you will continue to come to the boards for support as needed, to support others and to keep us up to date on how your baby is doing.

Congrats!

-Jess