See what moms are talking about today
View or share your favorite baby photos
From pregnancy to motherhood, every mom has questions or could use some support. Join the conversation to learn from or help other moms just like you.
Join now to get nutritional guidance and up to $329* in benefits
What are the benefits of membership?
I'm on my third pregnancy. I had a vaginal birth perfectly with my first born and a C-section, that had no complications, with my 2nd which I now found out from my new OB that it was most likely not needed. Now that I have had a C-section I know that I do have the option of having another or going for vaginal. My OB already discussed with me the possibility of complications with a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Ceserean) and the chances are low. I don't want to have to go through the pain and recovery of surgery especially since I have two others to care for. Dad is in the picture and helps when he can but works mostly full time in the summer and my baby is due in June. And at the same time I don't want to have to worry about giving birth vaginally and risking the danger of rupture of the uterus. I'm so 50/50 on it and can't figure out if I should go for the VBAC or do the C-section. My OB says he's going to keep an eye on me for the remainder of the pregnancy and see how my labor goes but I need to have something in mind to keep myself prepared and at ease because anything can happen. If anybody has been in this kind of situation or knows how I'm feeling I would love some feedback!
I can understand your concerns. If it were me i'd just do the C Section because no amount of risk is worth it to me. the recovery would suck, but i'd feel less concerned and stressed about it. Also If yo do decide to do a Vbac then i'm sure you doctor would have a means of monitoring you so that if he feels that your uterus is under too much stress then he can just do an emergency c section and keep you and your baby out of harms way. You may want to check with him on that though. It really boils down to how comfortable you are with the idea and that is usually based on how much you trust your doctors opinion and judgement.
I am doing a VBAC for my current pregnancy (this is my 2nd pregnancy). I know of the dangers, but I really want to try to do this naturally. I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. Trust your doctor, if anything seems wrong they will do the c-section. They have things ready just in case, so there isn't too much to worry about. They know when they should intervene and do something else if anything seems wrong.
Congrats on your third! :-) I am a NICU RN and see a number of deliveries at our work each day. I have witnessed quite a few successful VBACs and the mothers were pretty happy with the results! That being said, I've also seen a few VBACs that ended up with a Cesarean delivery after all. I think my overall message is that if your OB doctor clears it and you feel like you want to go for it, VBACs can be done! There certainly is some risk of uterine rupture like your physician mentioned, so you'll want to get the all clear and make sure you are good to go but I understand your reasons for wanting to avoid the hassle of recovering from surgery, etc. Hope there are some other moms on here who can give you some good advice and perspective!
Thanks so far for the feedback. It feels good to get opinions from others. I trust my doc to the fullest and I've been researching the pros and cons of both the VBAC and a repeat C-section. I'm feeling a little more confident in the VBAC. I still have a ways to go until i'm due but I don't want to think about it last minute and scare myself and make this birth difficult. I'm going to continue my research and and keep my self relaxed. This pregnancy can end either way, and as long as I have a healthy baby and I'm ok, I think everything is going to be just fine!
Just go Tinkerbellmomma where you comfortable with. Goodluck