Everything's coming together
Week 31: Your baby is already using all five senses
During your 31st week of pregnancy, your baby's body and brain continue to make the connections that enable her systems to work as a whole. Also when you're 31 weeks pregnant:
- Your baby weighs more than 3 pounds and is 11 inches long from crown to rump, which is about the length of a bunch of bok choy (a type of Chinese cabbage).
- Your baby's reproductive system continues to develop. In boys, testicles are moving from the kidneys through the groin to the scrotum. In girls, the clitoris is visible, but the labia are still growing to cover it.
- Your baby's lungs are now more developed but are not completely mature.
- As trillions of brain connections develop, your baby is already using all five senses.
- You might notice that your baby has more defined periods of being awake (and active) or asleep.
Your Week 31 nutrition and health
Easy ways to get your recommended daily amounts fruits and vegetables
For some women, it’s easy to get their recommended daily amount of fruits and vegetables. However, if you are having a tough time figuring out how to fit more fruits and vegetables into your day, here are some simple ways:
- Open a bag of preshredded cabbage and put it in a reusable container. Mix it with a little light coleslaw dressing. Then, add chopped apples or pineapple.
- Add grated carrots or zucchini to spaghetti sauce.
- Mash green peas into guacamole — this will make it more nutritious without changing the taste or texture.
- Add chopped fresh tomatoes and cilantro to bottled salsa.
- Grab a few frozen blueberries, grapes, or strawberries and eat them cold for a sorbet-like snack.
- Top your whole-grain cereal with dried plums or fresh berries.
What to expect at your next prenatal checkup
You probably have a doctor appointment this week or very soon, if you're now seeing your doctor every two to three weeks.
- By the time you're 36 weeks pregnant, you'll probably begin visiting your doctor weekly.
- These upcoming weekly appointments specifically will check your baby's progress toward birth.
Keep learning about your baby's development every week
- Expert nutrition guidance for your pregnancy
- Weekly updates on how your baby is developing and growing
- Up to $329† in membership benefits